Corn prices (not good)

Help Support CattleToday:

40% comsuption by ethanol......says it all.
I'd love to buy some stockers this year but this market has me worried.

Texas drought, if this keeps up it will be a complete crop failure, the farmers here are already saying it looks like a failure.

This whole thing is just so politically correct it reeks.

We're using biofuels and ethanol to be more "green", but when you do the research, it takes more oil (oil by products) to make the corn than just to pump (natural) oil and refine it as fuel. Add that with the increased demand for corn and decrease reserves, we are going somewhere bad. To the short sighted it's great that the price of beef is high (if you're a cattlemen), but for the future we are digging a deeper and deeper hole.

You have to consider the fact that corn is not used up when they make ethanol. I am sure that there are a lot of people on this very board feeding the byproducts with very good results! :cowboy:

mwj":1gr0j00o said:
You have to consider the fact that corn is not used up when they make ethanol. I am sure that there are a lot of people on this very board feeding the byproducts with very good results! :cowboy:
But you also need to realize the costs envolved in "recyclying" the by-product into a useable product and get it to where it would be of economic use.........!

I don;t know anything about corn and what parts are the main parts that make it good for finishing beef. But I would think that the ethonal would pretty much remove the sugar, so if that's a part of the finishing package corn won;t do much after the sugar is gone. Also what about the corn sweetener that's in about every product instead of sugar

There is an invisible line south of that line the oil boys bad mouth ethanol and north of that line corn growers bad mouth oil. It ain't rocket science. Promote what you benefit from.

Problem is most of the dogs barking about ethanol are without a clue what they are talking about. Ain't that right E10?

Same goes for oil most are without a clue. Both have economic benefits for this country. Problem is one fuel scource is renewable one is not. What you going to do when the oil runs out. Wish you would have tried to figure out something different right?

Besides you all claim corn wasn't made for cattle grass was.

manitgotcoldhere2":3s8uaxp5 said:
There is an invisible line south of that line the oil boys bad mouth ethanol and north of that line corn growers bad mouth oil. It ain't rocket science. Promote what you benefit from.

Problem is most of the dogs barking about ethanol are without a clue what they are talking about. Ain't that right E10?

Same goes for oil most are without a clue. Both have economic benefits for this country. Problem is one fuel scource is renewable one is not. What you going to do when the oil runs out. Wish you would have tried to figure out something different right?

Besides you all claim corn wasn't made for cattle grass was.

That's funny. I don't hear the dogs barking anymore. :lol2:

Cost is about the same to produce a gallon from things I have read. The big difference is when a car is using ethanol they get less MPG so you know which one is going to cost the most in the long run. And Ethanol is not any cleaner burning for the enviroment than gas so that argument gets knocked down as well. But if they can get the cost and average MPG the same then I say we go with both. Grow our own corn and drill our own oil and to heck with the mid east.

manitgotcoldhere2":1u927h63 said:

We have billions of gallons of proven oil reserves. And no they are not renewable but right now we're not even touching most of them. How much proven "land reserved for corn production" do we have available for expansion ?? With the expanding population there is less land available all the time for agriculture in general, much less "corn specific" and where do we get the fertilizer to grow this renewable fuel source? Looks like we're going into a negative energy balance using manufactured energy to produce more energy.Ethanol is not the "best" at this.

TexasBred":3c1w62k5 said:
manitgotcoldhere2":3c1w62k5 said:

We have billions of gallons of proven oil reserves. And no they are not renewable but right now we're not even touching most of them. How much proven "land reserved for corn production" do we have available for expansion ?? With the expanding population there is less land available all the time for agriculture in general, much less "corn specific" and where do we get the fertilizer to grow this renewable fuel source? Looks like we're going into a negative energy balance using manufactured energy to produce more energy.Ethanol is not the "best" at this.

There are those in the scientific community that think the earth is manufacturing crude.

TexasBred":pcefog6r said:
manitgotcoldhere2":pcefog6r said:
With the expanding population there is less land available all the time for agriculture in general, much less "corn specific" and where do we get the fertilizer to grow this renewable fuel source? Looks like we're going into a negative energy balance using manufactured energy to produce more energy.Ethanol is not the "best" at this.
Around here the fertilizer is hog and cattle manure.

All I got to say is when corn was being produce for less than cost of production no one was complaining about it or cared about the crop farmers who couldn't make their crop loans or equipment payments
I bought some of the highest priced feed I have ever bought this week and when I figured it what it cost me to add an extra lb to my calves at todays calf prices I still came out ahead about the same pecentage that I did last yr
If corn goes up and cattle prices go up then everything is still in balance it is when you have a substantial rise in one and the other doesn't follow that we have problems
I hope every crop farmer makes money and that I can make money on my calves because without us the crop farmers have less demand and without them I have to find other options to feed my calves

Glad someone think likes me, AG. Just because something good is happening, doesn't mean something bad is just around the corner.
My opinion, cattle numbers are down. Feedlot margins have always been tight ( I've heard all my life,"There is not any way you can feed those calves at that price and make money." I've heard that in high and low markets. Feedlots are still running.) Fat cattle prices are high, if anything will adjust it will be the feeder price, but with tight margins the feedlots use, prices will still stay high.
Because of this, there will be a bigger spread between mismanaged feeders. The guy with 10 head of year old 500 pounders will complain about the salebarn stealing his calves. "They were just a good a cattle as my neighbors, and he got $20 a hundred more."
I'm like Brad, I've done just fine with $6 corn and $120 yearlings. I hope corn goes up more, it'll weed out the cattle multipliers. Maybe $8 corn will bring $140 yearlings. JMHO gs

In the long run US consumers will eat less beef because of these high prices. Nothing good comes from higher prices and long term lower demand. Farmers around the world will use these high commodity prices to finance expansion and new machinery. The american taxpayer through subsidies are giving our markets away with our own money. No way this many any sense.

manitgotcoldhere2":1vopom16 said:
TexasBred":1vopom16 said:
manitgotcoldhere2":1vopom16 said:
With the expanding population there is less land available all the time for agriculture in general, much less "corn specific" and where do we get the fertilizer to grow this renewable fuel source? Looks like we're going into a negative energy balance using manufactured energy to produce more energy.Ethanol is not the "best" at this.
Around here the fertilizer is hog and cattle manure.

For 100% of the crops 100% of the time? And where will it come from when all available cattle are confined. restricted to a "grain" diet and there is no grazing because we have no grazing and limited corn acres. How much manure would it take to fertilize the entire US corn crop and maintain current production averages?? Again you never get as much "out" as you put "in".

Latest posts