corn price effect on beef

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
Will the lower corn prices affect the prices on feeder calves? Shouldn't demand for feeders go up as it is cheaper to feed them out or is price strictly based on consumer demand for beef?

Imho, most of what is fed today is a byproduct. Corn price doesn't sail the ship quit like it did a few years ago.

callmefence":3mk6frp3 said:
Stocker Steve":3mk6frp3 said:
Yes.
No, No.
Higher feedlot feed prices tend to increase the value of gain, and this makes stockering more profitable.

So cheap corn- bad year to do stockers
High corn- good year???

Yes, unless the market is volatile. :(

Your forage is substituting for their corn. So yards will usually pay more for heavy feeders - - compared to light feeders - - as their cost of feedlot gain from grain increases.

For a diversified operation - - this can creates a situation where the grain is not worth much, and the feeder gain is also not worth much. I think a bass boat may be the solution. :nod:

Stocker Steve":1fesaoiz said:
callmefence":1fesaoiz said:
Stocker Steve":1fesaoiz said:
Yes.
No, No.
Higher feedlot feed prices tend to increase the value of gain, and this makes stockering more profitable.

So cheap corn- bad year to do stockers
High corn- good year???

Yes, unless the market is volatile. :(

Your forage is substituting for their corn. So yards will usually pay more for heavy feeders - - compared to light feeders - - as their cost of feedlot gain from grain increases.

For a diversified operation - - this can creates a situation where the grain is not worth much, and the feeder gain is also not worth much. I think a bass boat may be the solution. :nod:

Thanks.
I've done the bass boat. Great for a year.after that not so much

Stocker Steve":7ph966jb said:
Nothing wrong with trading up. :nod:

What do you plan to get next?

Possibly some bred cows to bale graze on some recently cleared land this winter. Unless we turn really dry the next couple of months I shouldn't have to much hay if any at all to my herd.

The boat is too expensive to be sitting there not used. Haven't used it much at all the last 3 years. I'll get another one, but it'll be something cheaper.

Latest posts