Corn picker help

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
This ain't my deal, but i am buying some cattle for a guy that is starting what will pretty much be a hobby farm to him,he wants to grow 5 to 10 acres of corn and will use a old 2 or 3 row picker, he already has it but I don't remember if it's a 2 or 3. He doesn't know how much tractor it takes to pull a picker like that, I didn't really know exactly either so I thought I would ask.

denvermartinfarms":93asin3n said:
This ain't my deal, but i am buying some cattle for a guy that is starting what will pretty much be a hobby farm to him,he wants to grow 5 to 10 acres of corn and will use a old 2 or 3 row picker, he already has it but I don't remember if it's a 2 or 3. He doesn't know how much tractor it takes to pull a picker like that, I didn't really know exactly either so I thought I would ask.

I know that the old one rows were pulled by a 550 Oliver with no problem

M5farm":1i5ffa46 said:
denvermartinfarms":1i5ffa46 said:

I know that the old one rows were pulled by a 550 Oliver with no problem
My grandpa pulled his 2 row with a 770, and my other grandpa had a tractor mounted 2 row on his JD 60.

I had a 2 row. It takes very little horse power. The picker isn't really doing much, just spinning. It basically knocks the ear off the stalk. I can't imagine using one now, and even wonder why I used to.

A few of my neighbors use them. I have corn in now that is gonna be picked with a wide 2 row. My neighbor uses a 6 series john deere which is plenty big enough for the picker and wagon. Wet spots would be the issue where you would need bigger tractor i would think. Its not the PTO power you need its the pulling a full wagon and picker if its wet.

Bigfoot":1gtwcq8e said:
I had a 2 row. It takes very little horse power. The picker isn't really doing much, just spinning. It basically knocks the ear off the stalk. I can't imagine using one now, and even wonder why I used to.

My Dad wore out two one row pickers before he was 45. It beat the hell out of picking by hand.....

Thanks, I'll mention what I learned to him. That's kinda what I thought about them not taking much power. He was thinking about pulling it with a 2030 John Deere.

A friend uses a 4020 with a 3 row head on a 300 picker in irrigated corn. Power is not an issue for him. The picker has a hard time handling that much corn. When it gets to be over 200bpa he is in first gear riding the clutch.

Latest posts