CORN FUTURES

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
MARCH corn future is about $7.00. may effect the feed cattle and producer?

uscangus":18qcfxqf said:
MARCH corn future is about $7.00. may effect the feed cattle and producer?
March is 6.48, I'm looking for 7.25 to top it out but I have been wrong on everything I have ever "tought". An yes those prices will have some effect, how much depends on how high cattle prices stay an how good a job the feeders do in contracting or protecting with futures.

Angus Cowman":3u9hg0wg said:
from all the reports I have read it is driving the price of beef up because we are short on cows so therefore short on beef so none of the analysts think it is going to hurt the beef industry like it has in the past
Hope the analysts didn;t go to the same school as the weather guessers

dun":1enzzsr9 said:
Angus Cowman":1enzzsr9 said:
from all the reports I have read it is driving the price of beef up because we are short on cows so therefore short on beef so none of the analysts think it is going to hurt the beef industry like it has in the past
Hope the analysts didn;t go to the same school as the weather guessers
same schoo; but the analyst had to go for 3 days instead of 2 :lol: :lol:

in bloomberg news, this morning, it was at 8.50 and not the future price.

March corn futures are about 6.62/bu. Here is a website where you can go for a quick look at grains and livestock prices: http://www.agweb.com/ The quotes are on the right hand side and sometimes the last thing to load on the page.

On the cattle herd, one thing about high cull cow prices is that it makes rebuilding the herd numbers a much tougher decision.

Jim

Looking at the futures prices can be misleading. Right now they are running a -35 basis so while the futures are currently trading at $6.55 the cash price is at $6.20.

The link I posted above has a box under the futures prices to give you local cash prices which, I agree, are much more representative of actual corn value locally. Jim

novaman":2b1w46rz said:
Looking at the futures prices can be misleading. Right now they are running a -35 basis so while the futures are currently trading at $6.55 the cash price is at $6.20.
AND that's an FOB price "somewhere". You still have to get it to the farm. Hopefully everyone has a source nearby.

Are we seeing a surge in commodities across the board? Noticed cotton ,wheat and hogs are up too. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

shaz":28fsuw1l said:
Are we seeing a surge in commodities across the board? Noticed cotton ,wheat and hogs are up too. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Yes
Yes
Some people think there is more upside in pork bellies than there is in housing or stocks...

shaz":1wm36wdk said:
Absolutely....check out soybean meal. Soybean oil pretty well sets the market for bean meal and then all the alternatives just follow beanmeal. If bean meal goes up, cottonseed meal, canola etc. all go up just because they can...nothing to do with demand.

Last time I looked at corn it was at $6.60 with the national avg. basis $.44 under the board. That would put corn belt corn delivered to me here in Texas around $7.00 a bushel.

I'm not 100% sure, but I am confident there may be a California resident that is a enrolled in the MMP, posting on this board.

Just sayin ;-)

Latest posts