corn for cows question

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Can you broadcast fertilizer to small corn? I always thought you would have problems with dry fertilizer that setted in the corn tops. I would like to drill RR corn but have no way to apply fertilizer after planting.

Do you mean Roundup Ready when you say RR? For cows? IS it for the cows to eat on the stalk? Why would you want to use more expensive genetically modified corn for cows like that ?

wstevenl":2i09ncs6 said:
Do you mean Roundup Ready when you say RR? For cows? IS it for the cows to eat on the stalk? Why would you want to use more expensive genetically modified corn for cows like that ?
so i can clean up the land of bermuda grass and other stuff.

While you probably "can" broadcast dry fertilizer on small corn plants, the P & K in the fertilizer will be of little value this year and if you don't ge a rain right after spreading you may loose a lot of urea nitrogen.

A better choice would be to go liquid this year. Forget the P & K and just go N. N esp 28% liquid, moves easily in the soil dry P & K Won't move much at all and likely will not get to the roots this year. Rent or borrow a liquid toolbar with knives or coulters (to get the liquid under the soil surface) from your local fertilizer dealer or have it custom applied (called side dressing). You can mix some 28% and AMS in with your RU spray for a bit of a boost but don't overdo it on the 28 or you will burn the crop. Check with your RU supplier.

RR corn works well in this system for weed control, IF you have the right hybrid. Don't force the cattle to eat the lower stalks all the way down to the ground in the fall. Good luck. Jim

I assumed he was talking about side dressing. When he said drilled corn I was thinking 8" rows. The knives or coulters might do to much damage to the corn.

just a thought ;-)