Corn Fodder Rolls

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Running a little short on hay this year and asking prices for even junk hay are out the roof. Might be able to latch onto some 6x5 netwrapped rolls of corn fodder. I've searched and came up with little. Anyone here use them? Also, anyone have a rough idea of the protein content? Value on a normal year?

Thanks
cfpinz

Corn stalks are OK feed. If you've got dry cows that are say 2nd trimester and the temp outside isn't too bad they'll do ok on them.

I think the protien is around 8%, but I'm shooting from the hip and nut. class was a few too many years ago, so if I'm way off base sorry.

What many of my feedlot customers do is grind 1 hay then 1 or 2 stalk bales into a pile, but that's another processing step. Otherwise you could put out 1 good bale and 1 stalk bale in the rings/feeder and make them clean it up. If you do this the cows will hit the good hay right away and leave the stalks, well they will be mad as a hornet but make them clean up the stalks before you add more hay.

Value is a guessing game. It takes $10+/- to make the bale plus some for the accutal product so I'd say $20-35 depending on any number of factors.

If this don't work for hay it makes great bedding.

Thanks for the info. They'll be going to wet cows so I'll have to make up the difference. I'm borderline on hay for the winter and just trying to stretch what I have the cheapest possible way. Thanks to all the horse nuts around here the price of grass hay is thru the roof. Folks who used to roll all their hay and sell it to cattle folks are squaring it now and getting a mint for it, can't say as I blame them, though. If horse folks are dumb enough to pick up a second job just to feed Trigger $6-$8 squares I can't compete with them.

cfpinz

the last issue of the Michigan State University, Extension Beef team publication called Cattle Call (I think you can view it online) has a real good article about using corn fodder. They say the crude protein is around 4% and TDN is around 45%. The article also has how much nutrients the fodder would take from the soil in case people are thinking of buying the residue and baling or chop it.

Hope the girls like them, already bought three loads and have spoken for some more.

cfpinz

We're using a bale processor to feed our hay & stalk bales. We're alternating days, hay 1 day, stalks the next. Adding corn right now since there's a bit of grass in the field they're cleaning up. Will soon switch to a by-product with higher protein.
It took the cows a week or so before they started cleaning up the stalks. They'd rather bawl than eat them at first. When we wean the calves then the mature cows will get mostly stalks & gluten/distillers grain. The hay will be rationed with stalks for the coming 2's & 3's, all hay for the weanlings.
The mature cows are doing good on the hay/stalk rotation, and their calves look good, too.
The bale processor is really nice since we can limit feed and still give everyone equal access at the same time.

Chris H":3m6nxy6q said:
We're using a bale processor to feed our hay & stalk bales.
The bale processor is really nice since we can limit feed and still give everyone equal access at the same time.

Any feel for how much you have to use your bale processor to make it pay?

ChrisH - What type of bale processor do you have and how do you like it? I tried to buy a Hesston BP25 a few weeks ago at an auction but some other yahoo wanted it worse than I did.

cfpinz

Just noticed that last two questions for me.
What type of bale processor do you have
Husband wanted Vermeer, so we got a Vermeer BP8000 with the grain tank, http://www.vermeerag.com/equip/balepro/bp8000/.
Used processors are rarely seen in our area, not many people process their hay around here. Don't know of any custom processors around here, either, but a friend in Iowa says there are several custom operators who charge around 15/ton to process hay. We bought new, since we couldn't find used or a custom operator.

Any feel for how much you have to use your bale processor to make it pay?
That's kind of hard to say. We can put it in terms of it saving up to 25% of the hay compared to just setting a round bale out without a feeder or 10-15% savings over using a feeder. We can feed along a fenceline with little trampling waste. Or we can feed outside a single strand electric wire and get no waste. Move the single strand wire and the cows spread the manure on their own.
Using an electric wire means we don't have to buy hay rings.
Processing the hay and laying it out in a windrow means we can add a cheaper form of energy & protein, like gluten, to cut down how much hay we need to feed but everyone has equal access at the same time. We can feed as large of a group of cows (with similar nutrition needs) as we want, and know the timid ones won't get the 'leftovers' after the bossy cows get the choice, like they do using hay rings.
We can use cheaper forage like cornstalks in place of hay for cattle with lesser nutritional demands. We noticed it took a week or so before the cows started cleaning up the processed stalks. Maybe their rumens needed to adjust? Or maybe they were just pouting.
And the final reason we got the processor, we raise registered stock, but have't been in the business a long time. If we sold off half our herd to get through the winter this year, the loss we'd take would have paid for the processor and the extra hay we're buying. This way at least we have the processor and the cattle in our possession.
We do like the processor. It's saving hay, and it's a pleasure to see those timid cows having equal access at the same time as the bossy cows.

We put up about 1100 5X6 bales of stalks this year.. Would have done more but the tractor died before we were done. We had enough.. Folks around here feed it all the time. Last year our cow diet was mostly stalks and WDGS. WE were protein rich when it was all balanced out but it was the cheapest option we had.. This year we got about 1000 tons of Sweet corn silage brought in to go along with the stalks and some WDGS to keep the protein up..

The thing with stalks is, if you grind it you will get more uniform consumption. the stalks themselves are the last thing the cow is going to eat, she will eat the husks and leaves that are in there and if the stalks were shattered and cut enough by the mower than they will eat some of it. Last year to stretch the bunck space the distillers took up we mixed 600 pounds of stalks with 6000 pounds of distillers and than free choiced a few tons of stalks.. The cows were in real good shape come spring.

IL Rancher":4lmmkbdd said:
This year we got about 1000 tons of Sweet corn silage brought in to go along with the stalks and some WDGS to keep the protein up..

I have seen sale ads for $10/ton sweet corn silage. How do you handle and store it?

Trucks come in, and dump.. We push the silage into long piles and than compress them with a large MFWD tractor. Cover them with a film tarp and surrond the edges with sand, basically just a bunker silo.. We have fed it in feed wagons and we have feed it using a TMR to mix with Distillers grain. Cows and calves really seem to hit it good, even better than the seed corn silage that we usually use...

10 bucks a ton sounds nice but does that include the trucking to get it to you? The trucking for us was almost as expensive as the product :shock: but we had to bring it a ways and the truckers weren't to keen on moving it because the State police like to pull them over because their trailers leaked..

IL Rancher":3csrsdma said:
Trucks come in, and dump.. We push the silage into long piles and than compress them with a large MFWD tractor. Cover them with a film tarp and surrond the edges with sand, basically just a bunker silo.. We have fed it in feed wagons and we have feed it using a TMR to mix with Distillers grain. Cows and calves really seem to hit it good, even better than the seed corn silage that we usually use...

10 bucks a ton sounds nice but does that include the trucking to get it to you? The trucking for us was almost as expensive as the product :shock: but we had to bring it a ways and the truckers weren't to keen on moving it because the State police like to pull them over because their trailers leaked..
5 years ago seneca foods paid us $4 a ton to come get it. Amazing how a drought will put a price on everything.

For us it isn't drought, it is #2 corn being worth an extra buck or so than it was last year at the time of sweet corn harvest, lol.. From what I hear the pealage was still free but that stuff doesn't seem to be near as palatable and it is a mess.

They still bring it to the plant on the vine? Here the combines ruin the vines in the field so badly that it wouldn't even be worth baling after it dried.

You know, I have only seen the final "product" of the stuff from the pea harvest.. Can't say it looked like anything besided mush.. I was thinking it just might have been the pods, minus the peas but I could be wrong. It stank to high heaven and looked predigested, lol.

I am in Bureau County as well.

Did you get your sweet corn silage out of Mendota?

I am sure we did not put up enough stalks this year. My Dad is rather set in his ways....

The cows are in good condition for now and I have been feeding them stalk bales and corn. Not my ideal at all but hopefully this week we will finally have some WDG delivered. Then I will be mixing that with the stalks.

At 10.00 a bale this is the only way I can see to go with large squares of brome quoted at 170.00 before delivery. I have talked to quite a few guys and the cheapest has been 125.00 for small rounds of oat hay.

What kind of mixer are you using for the stalks and the WDG?

When we bale we use a flail shreader that breaks up the stalks a lot so we cna get by, with smal amount so stalks, in our Real Augie that we have.. Thinking about trading it in on vertilcal mixer but thinking a grinder might be better money spent.. Decisions, decisons. right now we aren't mixing in anything as we have the sweet corn silage but lat year we mixed the stalks in. I think it would have worked better if it had been processed or if we used a vertilal mixer.

Yes, we got the silage from over in Mendota and we are about as far away from Mendota as you can be and still be in Bureau county, lol... WDG has been a royal pain to get in this past year, you would think with the plant near Rochelle opening it would have gotten better but it hasn't and that stuff is super high sulfer from what I have heard. Hennipen plant should open this winter so that might help and the Annawan plant should open before next winter so hopefully supply will start catching up with demand.. Oh how I miss the 25 buck a ton delivered. We are getting a slug of WDGS in at the end of the month, hopefully it will be enough for the year.

Latest posts