Copper thieves..

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
My water troughs weren't working the other day so I went across the road to check the pumphouse. On the way I stopped at the breaker to turn it off figuring it was ants balled up on the switch in the pumphouse. Raised the panel, and the breaker was off, okay it tripped I thought, that's until I looked directly below it and saw that the PVC pipe that carries the wire to the pump had been hacksawed and the wire was cut. Proceeded to the pumphouse and they had also cut the wire to the switch and either tried to pull the wire out or got spooked and left without thier booty. Just a heads up to those of you that have this type of set up that isn't near your house.

Hope you reported it.

Locks and game cameras.
Heard about some thieves getting fried messing with the electrical wires.

I luv herfrds":1u75y6ci said:
Hope you reported it.

Locks and game cameras.

Not yet but I plan too. Yep, I'm thinking if they just got scared off they'll be back. I have a game camera that doesn't flash and plan on hanging it today or tomorrow since I'll be hauling water every day until I can get an electrician out there.

"Thieves getting fried" Yep, kind of like me wanting some of those hurricanes to come up through central tx in the summer, I don't want anyone to lose life or limb for me to get rain but.....I'd have to laugh my azz off if I could catch one of them getting buzzed on camera.

Chorpus Christi has over 3500 customers out now because someone broke into the substation about 5;00 am this morning and stole eqipment , expect to get power restored about 11;30 am ths morning, they must know what they are doing because a sub. has over 300,000 volts coming into it.

Yeah it's funny when it happens to someone else.
not sure I can laugh. I got blown off a water hydrant when our meter pole shorted out.
Not a pleasant experience.

My cousin caught some guys stealing iron at his office .he blocked their truck with his truck and they ran off . Come to find out the truck was stolen . They had a torch and they were cutting up a back hoe bucket when he found them . Crazy thing is he caught the same two guys about two weeks later . This time when they jumped the fence he was shooting at them with bird shot . He swears he hit one of them but they were over 50 yards away.

i have some scrap iron, old trailer chasis, aluminun cans(50# or so)old 14" wheels, old tin and etc. and i told the local scrap yard man i'd pay him to take it and he told he'd come and get it that week...that was 3 months ago
maybe i need to post a keep out sign so someone will come and steal it.

I just called someone i know of who is in a tight spot with the economy. Hes got a wife and kids and has been doing scrap metal to help ends meet. I got some junk removed and he made a few bucks. Win win

A buddy of mine lived in Elgin for awhile, it seems like theft and burglary is a way of life to alot of the population there. They broke in to his mobile home while he was gone for the weekend, put a chain around his gun safe and hooked it up to a vehicle and took off leaving a hole in the side of his house. He moved soon after.

ElginRinger":15wu3gyk said:
I luv herfrds":15wu3gyk said:
Hope you reported it.

Locks and game cameras.

Not yet but I plan too. Yep, I'm thinking if they just got scared off they'll be back. I have a game camera that doesn't flash and plan on hanging it today or tomorrow since I'll be hauling water every day until I can get an electrician out there.

"Thieves getting fried" Yep, kind of like me wanting some of those hurricanes to come up through central tx in the summer, I don't want anyone to lose life or limb for me to get rain but.....I'd have to laugh my azz off if I could catch one of them getting buzzed on camera.

Didja hear about the guy in the Dallas / Fort Worth area that was trying to steal copper that was close to a transformer? He was rescused from the pole but died from the electrical burns later. He must have been "high" on something other than a power pole.

cross_7":3cykgdsa said:
i have some scrap iron, old trailer chasis, aluminun cans(50# or so)old 14" wheels, old tin and etc. and i told the local scrap yard man i'd pay him to take it and he told he'd come and get it that week...that was 3 months ago
maybe i need to post a keep out sign so someone will come and steal it.
Give him a call again. If he does not come and get it let someone else come and get it. Don't need a keep out sign....just one that says "HIGH VOLTAGE." Would probably work like a charm.

JSCATTLE":vw7mt745 said:
My cousin - he was shooting at them with bird shot . He swears he hit one of them but they were over 50 yards away.

Let your cousin know there's special predator shotgun shells and special predator chokes. They allow shots well over 50 yards. :D Reach Out and Touch Someone!