Converting

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
After reading the part in Storey's Guide about what sort of things to look for and ask when buying a purebred or commercial heifer, like conformation and looking at/asking questions about the dam and sire, I had a question (stupid one?) pop up that I'd like to ask.

Can you buy a purebred heifer and use her as commercial stock, not continuing on with the paper work that comes with her? Or is there some rules made by the purebreeders that prevents the buyer from doing that? I'm curious.

You sure can. My parents have a field full of them. They simply got tired of trying to keep up the paperwork on them.

you can do that, even as a pure breeder you'll still get "commercial" calves out of most cows.

To buy reg heifers with no intention to register their calves can be done, but reg heifers are usually quite a bit more expensive to buy in the first place.

IluvABbeef":e5g9p5hk said:
After reading the part in Storey's Guide about what sort of things to look for and ask when buying a purebred or commercial heifer, like conformation and looking at/asking questions about the dam and sire, I had a question (stupid one?) pop up that I'd like to ask.

Can you buy a purebred heifer and use her as commercial stock, not continuing on with the paper work that comes with her? Or is there some rules made by the purebreeders that prevents the buyer from doing that? I'm curious.
yes you can buy reg heifers without the reg papers.when i was buying reg polled herefords yrs ago i was giving $900 to $1000 for reg heifers.those same heifers wouldve sold for $800 without papers.

Well that makes the choosing a lot easier...

And the same would go for bulls too?

yes, in fact the vast majority of reg bulls will never sire a reg calf in their life

I have some with papers that expired because I got tired of paying the associations fee's for them and their calves each year. I had originally thought about marketing them as registered stock but I just didn't have the time to mess with them so they went on the trailer with the rest.

You can have them reinstated if you need to later but there is a small fee for it. If you look across my pasture you can't tell the papered ones from the non papered ones. None are carrying briefcases. :lol:

Now I'm confused. When I first started here I read a comment that explained the difference between purebred, full blood and registered and it was stated that pure bred and full blood did not come with papers, only registered and even then you had to ask for them and sometimes pay for them. Is this still a correct statement?

Now you got ME confused. :shock: :?

I always thought that a purebred animal is one that is registered already, and a full-blood or straight bred animal is for commercial stock. That's the way I thought of it, but maybe someone else can clear that up...

IluvABbeef":1g3u9r3c said:
Now you got ME confused. :shock: :?

I always thought that a purebred animal is one that is registered already, and a full-blood or straight bred animal is for commercial stock. That's the way I thought of it, but maybe someone else can clear that up...

That's kinda what I originally thought until I read that response. I bought "purebred" Limo bulls and thought I was doing a good thing only to find out that a "purebred" animal was just influenced by something that had a little better blood line. Full blood had good dame and sire linage but no pedigree and registered had the pedigree if you were willing to pay for the papers.

I'm with you. I'll wait until someone a lot smarter than me answers this.

How about thinking of it in this way:

All cattle can be commericial cattle,
Purebred and Fullblood cattle require proof of being so, those are the one that are registered with a breed association and lineage is recorded and tracked.

Kevin

Any cow can be kept for a commercial cow
A purebred cow has the bloodline to be registered but the paperwork was not kept up, so there are no papers.
The term fullblood came in when many of the breed associations started allowing 3/4 and 7/8 and 15/6, etc to be registered. They were registered but not purebred or full blood. Full blood is not used around here, purebred and registered are. I have been to many sales where registered cattle brought less than regular commercial cattle, because the buyers were there for commercial cows and the registered cattle have a reputation for being less productive as commercial cows than the crossbreds are.

Depending on the registry, an animal may be registered as a fullblood or a purebred. Some registrys even have category for anything 1/2 or more of the breed. A purebred is an animal that has been derived either through the use of another breed as a base animal or it could be one that is derived from a fullblood but wihtout registration. A fullblood is an animal with no other breed anywhere in it's genetic makeup. When you get to the American breeds, they're all composits of multiple breeds but have been bred within the composit makeup for long enough to be considered a breed.

IluvABbeef":1mwvkoo5 said:
Can you buy a purebred heifer and use her as commercial stock, not continuing on with the paper work that comes with her?

Yes. Just because she is registered doesn't mean you have to bred her to a registered bull or register her calves.

We have a herd of fullblood and purebred limo's. The fullblood means they have only full french blood in them, while the purebreds are limos but not necessarily from the original french lines. To make it more confusing, they were all once upon a time registered, but we haven't put in the paperwork for many years, so they technically commercial (anything not registered is commercial) - they are commercial full bloods and purebreds, which are eligible to be registered! :shock:

Okay, so if that's the case, then a fullblood would be pretty much the same as straightbred? Or confusing things even more??

IluvABbeef":39k2m0yo said:
Okay, so if that's the case, then a fullblood would be pretty much the same as straightbred? Or confusing things even more??
theres a few breeds that reg fullbloods and pure bloods.an the reason that they do that is because the cattle breeeds come from other counties.like simmental come from switzerland.charlois come from italy.an i know both of those reg fullbloods as well as purebloods.limos come in fullbloods an purebloods as well.but i cant remember what country they come from.

Latest posts