Converting 6.5 to 350 gas burner

Help Support CattleToday:

dixie16

Reaction score
I bought a 1995 Chevy C2500 w/o motor or tranny. I've been wanting to put a 350 in it with a 400 tranny. Has anybody on here done this before? I'm new here so I don't know any people. Would it be better to put a carb. motor or fuel injected? How much would I have to change the wiring harness?
Thanks, Dixie :cboy:

I guess someone could write a book on what you need to look for and how to do it.

With gas prices at $3.00 and up I would think you would want to take advantage of fuel injection and fuel management that came with the truck meaning take full advantage of what ever computer is there. To do this however, will require you understand and connect the proper sensors that feed the computer with the necessary input to manage the fuel effeciently. And the 400 tranny has no electronic controls nor does it have a lock up convertor. They're strong transmissions but not efficient (compared to todays standards).

If you're looking for a hot rod then by all means get after it. Both good choices. Drop a 2500 to 3500 RPM stall convertor in the tranny and install some traction control and you've got a fun truck - between gas stations. :lol:

I completely understand about the gas prices. Maybe a horse and buggy would work :D. I need something that would be fuel effecient but at the same time be able to pull a loaded trailer. I also thought about finding another diesel to put in it. Wiring can be a nightmare so I was trying to avoid all that i could. I could put the motor in myself but let a shop do all the wiring. What do you think would be a good transmission with a lock up convertor?

Thanks, Dixie :cboy:

P.S. the chevelle is the only hot rod I need lol

I would go Diesel with manual transmission.
You can find GM military 6.2 diesels sometimes with automatic transmissions for under $1000. Sometimes a 6.5 but they cost more. Possibly a 5.9 or 3.9 cummins if you can find adapters and mounting brackets. I have a 91 with 6.2 and 4l80e electronic automatic transmission. The transmissions dont last over 100,000.

rdbigfarmboy":2efkb1yb said:
I would go Diesel with manual transmission.
You can find GM military 6.2 diesels sometimes with automatic transmissions for under $1000. Sometimes a 6.5 but they cost more. Possibly a 5.9 or 3.9 cummins if you can find adapters and mounting brackets. I have a 91 with 6.2 and 4l80e electronic automatic transmission. The transmissions dont last over 100,000.

Where can I find a military engine?
I have a two ton dump truck that needs an engine, and I sure would like to put a diesel in it.

Haha Your 95 truck is to new for me to know much about it. However with gas prices being the way they are I would definately put another diesel in it. I would go with a turbo 6.5.
For sure its a big job going with the 5.9 Cummins and the 4 cyl. Cummins are hard to get anymore. Nobody not even Advance Adapters makes Cummins kits for the pre 88 trucks and I doubt they do for your new truck either.
If you wanted to go with a gasser and as long as emmisions is not an issue. Get a GM 350 crate LM1, edelbrock intake/carb. Then there is no computer concerns but your still going to have4 to gear up carb/transmission linkage plus custom driveshaft. But if the truck is 4 wheel drive then im thinking its more trouble than its worth because of getting the transfer case to bolt up.
If it was me I would go with a new/rebuilt 6.5 which im guessing will cost at least $5000. Plus then you need a transmission.
Actually if I was you I would part out/ junk the truck. Get a pre 88 Chevy or go modern 91 or newer Dodge/Cummins.

Latest posts