Contaminated Water

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Found a calf in pond last night that was dead and had been torn into, guts pulled out. It was a smaller calf that was being weaned and I think maybe some wild dogs got him. Just to be safe I moved the rest to a different water source, but I'm wondering if the pond is contaminated now and what can be done to fix it.

You probably did the right thing playing it safe. But nature will take care of it. Dead fish and animals are common in ponds. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Now on to find out what got your calf. If it was wild dogs, they will be back. Seems that once they get a taste of killing, the never can get enough. I've had that problem in the past and the only thing that cured it was a little lead inserted in the correct area of the dogs......

My cows are fenced in very well and yet at times, I will still find the strange dog in the field with them. Any dog that comes thru, over, or under my fence will have a bad day.

S S S

Exactly, That is way I always have a rifle and shotgun when I'm checking the cattle. Lead is a wonderful tool. I've told the neighbors so they are watching too.

You may also find it to be a neighbors dog. I have had that problem in the past too.....

If you can prove it to be a dog wearing a collar that has its owners name on it, they will be liable for all damages. That's why we carry farm insurance!

water should be fine - you could always throw some chlorine around where the carcass was, but if it wasn't there more than a day or so it should be fine, especially if the death was trauma and not disease.

grannysoo":2ox5or7q said:
You may also find it to be a neighbors dog. I have had that problem in the past too.....

If you can prove it to be a dog wearing a collar that has its owners name on it, they will be liable for all damages. That's why we carry farm insurance!

I had a big problem with poachers running deer dogs on our property even though it is outlawed in my area. I tried to be nice and spoke to them on several occassions about it but to no avail. I mailed them their dog collars without a return address and I no longer have a problem with them.

You do need to be careful though. Those radio collars can lead to embarrassing and tense moments. Don't ask me how I know. :oops: :lol:

as far as the pond is concerned the calf was not big enough to hurt the water supply and as mentioned before the pond has a way to correct itself. if that part of the pond is bad the livestock will know and to the other side. give them some credit too.