Constipation - Bottle Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have a month old B&W face bottle calf. Super healthy, sucks down 3 bottles a day. Has 100% access to fresh water, hay (both grass and alf), a salt lick, and calf starter pellets. Lately she's been having constipation. She's super healthy and active so I haven't really done much for it. I see her straining so I know it has to be uncomfortable. She is going because I find small spots here and there from her. Thoughts? I was reading on giving mineral oil. How much should I give her? And just dose with syringe in her mouth or mix with bottle? Thanks!

Attachments

• 9D0C0C67-9675-49EB-8023-FD4CD37093F1.jpeg
    9D0C0C67-9675-49EB-8023-FD4CD37093F1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
How much water is she drinking, besides what she gets in the milk Replacer.
Honestly, none. She's always got fresh water but it never seems to go down and I'm just replacing it with fresh water. Should I try giving a half or quarter bottle of warm water to see if she'll drink it?

Try holding just the bottle nipple in the water,so she starts drinking it with the nipple and then slowly pull the nipple down into the water, so she starts drinking, without the nipple. Or else start giving her a bottle of warm water twice a day separate from her milk.

Ok
Try holding just the bottle nipple in the water,so she starts drinking it with the nipple and then slowly pull the nipple down into the water, so she starts drinking, without the nipple. Or else start giving her a bottle of warm water twice a day separate from her milk.
Ok, great advice! Thanks, I will try this.

You could maybe try a bit of oil, but that looks pretty normal to me. Maybe a bit firm for 3 bottles a day but shouldnt be a problem imo.

I myself wouldn't bottle feed her water.
The suckle effect puts the water in the wrong compartment of the stomach. Or so I've read...

I dont allow access to hay for the first 3 weeks or so. But I DO offer fresh free choice feed.

If it were my calf, I'd just keep a steady eye on it for a few more days. Maybe limit feed hay, tho I cant imagine shes eating a lot of hay young as she is especially with 3 bottles a day.

One other thing I will mention. Make sure your milk is ALL MILK PROTEIN. NO SOY!
Calves that young simply cannot digest soy protein properly.
If it starts to bloat or grinds its teeth, that's a sign..

Last edited:
You could maybe try a bit of oil, but that looks pretty normal to me. Maybe a bit firm for 3 bottles a day but shouldnt be a problem imo.

I myself wouldn't bottle feed her water.
The suckle effect puts the water in the wrong compartment of the stomach. Or so I've read...

I dont allow access to hay for the first 3 weeks or so. But I DO offer fresh free choice feed.

If it were my calf, I'd just keep a steady eye on it for a few more days. Maybe limit feed hay, tho I cant imagine shes eating a lot of hay young as she is especially with 3 bottles a day.

One other thing I will mention. Make sure your milk is ALL MILK PROTEIN. NO SOY!
Calves that young simply cannot digest soy protein properly.
If it starts to bloat or grinds its teeth, that's a sign..
Thanks! She is super healthy, so I'm not overly concerned just wanted to see what everyone thought. She actually does munch on quite a bit of hay. She has free choice starter pellets but even after me putting them in her mouth she's not real interested in them. I'll continue to keep an eye on her. And yes her milk replacer is a good quality, non soy replacer. She's doing extremely well other than some constipation here and there.

@ksmit454
Checking in...
Yes! She's doing excellent! She's actually a year old come tomorrow (12/30/21). She's still smaller than my other calves but that's expected with a bottle calf. When I throw hay to everybody she "butts" the feeder as she used to do with the bottle. She's still sweet as pie and my sweet girl!

Latest posts