Connealy Commander

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
We're looking for a power bull for our fully mature cows. We've been using some low birthweight bulls and we'd like to inject some size...and frankly we are worried about getting TOO small in our birthweights. I'm scanning through the catalogs and the Angus Journal and came across Connealy Commander. Love his look and depth and balanced numbers. Does anyone have any experience with him? Any thoughts on his daughters? We retain heifers for replacements...

If you are looking for "Power" and want to increase frame, then I would go with SAV International 2020. He is built like the proverbial brick sh..thouse and his calves look excellent. We have several now and they are getting thicker by the day. The daughters are my favorite, but he will make some really good bulls or steers for you as well. If you have good cows, he won't disappoint.

Here is a link to his info:

http://www.herbsterangus.com/international-

hornedfrogbbq":312b7lv0 said:
Suggestions?

Or SAV Harvestor, he is International's sire. Harvestor produces excellent females. Can't go wrong with either one based on what you are looking for.

I would consider Connealy Spur. My first Spur calves are 9 months old. Very quiet and consistently good. I value disposition and fertility. The daughters have a nice look and the bull calves look like they should.

SAV International wont add frame.. (bottom 45% for YH). Personally wont use any SAV bull to add frame, they do alot of good things but frame aint one.

I agree with your thought about adding bw, it needs to be brought back in every couple of generations. Connealy Spur looks good on paper for your idea. I havent seen any but he might work. Something I have seen, and you have too, Sydgen Rockstars. Consistently the best looking sire groups at Sydgen, IMO, he will add power, performance, Frame, and BW..

Check out Fortress. He's fairly well proven & I think fits what you. Are looking for.

jscunn":ih41yrtf said:
SAV International wont add frame.. (bottom 45% for YH). Personally wont use any SAV bull to add frame, they do alot of good things but frame aint one.

I agree with your thought about adding bw, it needs to be brought back in every couple of generations. Connealy Spur looks good on paper for your idea. I havent seen any but he might work. Something I have seen, and you have too, Sydgen Rockstars. Consistently the best looking sire groups at Sydgen, IMO, he will add power, performance, Frame, and BW..

I have some SAV International progeny, and I would have to respectfully disagree, but with that said, SAV Pedigree 4834 would certainly add frame in my opinion.

Cdcollett":1tnozgq9 said:
Check out Fortress. He's fairly well proven & I think fits what you. Are looking for.
I agree about Fortress. Spur probably won't add frame if your cows are 5 to 6 frame already.

International added frame here. The only issue I have with international is the hair. He has to much hair for here. Fortress won't add bw. They are tiny here. Epds aren't as accurate as people think

Go to Hoover angus website. Click on herd sires and see Commander progeny. I have a Connealy Commander son. Great docility even though his epds don't show it. Great calves too.

W.B. said:
I would consider Connealy Spur. My first Spur calves are 9 months old. Very quiet and consistently good. I value disposition and fertility. The daughters have a nice look and the bull calves look like they should.

Spur is one that has me really interested. Do his calves seem to have the length that he has? I'm needing a good connealy bull to go in 7229 and son offspring

T & B farms said:
W.B. said:

Spur is one that has me really interested. Do his calves seem to have the length that he has? I'm needing a good connealy bull to go in 7229 and son offspring

Yes good length of body. I just wish his milk epd was 20.

Latest posts