Confusion??

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I don't know where to start. Here goes. My first question is when you have a black commerical Brangus cow and she is bred to Reg. Polled Hereford bull should her calves always have some white on their face? This cow had a calf out of Hereford before and she was mottly faced. Next question what does month early twins look like? Should they just be little or hairless or what? O.K., Yesterday morning I called in my cows and the cow in question showed up late with after birth hanging out of her and a fuller looking udder, she always filled her bag a coulpe days after calving. Anyway, I walked out and found two solid black heifer calves bout 2' apart all cleaned off and dead. They weren't stiff yet. Her water bag was there and not frozen that night it was sure cold enough to freeze it, so they were born sometime that morning. My Hereford bull was turned out on 5/2/12. Her 2012 calf was born 3/8/12. I'm 99% sure no bull calf that would be old enough was with them in late March. So were they preemies or what? No neighbors bull around. Thanks for you alls help as always. B&G :bang:

Thanks dun,After doing some checking those twins would have been bout 250 days. Still confused bout how those calves were solid black the only bull around here was my Hereford bull???

I get a few solids out of hereford bulls but most have some white. I was kind of doubting it as I'm surounded by angus bulls in that pasture but I've had a few solid red calves out of black cows and all black calves that don't match my angus bulls. The size, big hip, and disposition are the giveaway for me.
The first solid colored heifer that I kept that I suspected to be out of my hereford bull gave me a brockle faced calf out of an AI mating to an angus bull. :D

I have had several solid black calves out of Hereford cows and brangus bulls. when bred to solid bulls the heifer will have motley faced calves it is strange. I have a motley faced cow that when bred to a solid bull will have a black baldy(solid white face) calf. commercial genetics are a guessing game some times. you never know what is hiding in there.

Interesting comments here

I can honestly state that I have run Hereford cattle for most of my life

Always Horned Herfs

Sometimes registered and sometimes straight but commercial herfs

I have never bred any cow - no matter what the breed or mix to a straight herf bull and NOT had a calf with no white on the face

I can also say that I have never bred a straight herf cow to a bull of any breed - off the top of my head - and NOT had a calf with no white on the face

There has always been some white - somewhere

Straight white face, brockle face, white on the eyes, white on the nose, white blaze, etc

I am quite surprised - not that it is not possible I suppose - but I am still surprized at the comments at absolutely no white.

Perhaps someone needs to spend a hundred bucks and do a DNA test - if they need the name of a decent lab I can give them the one we use on a regular basis.

Anyways - I am out of here - hauling hay tonight

Best to all

Bez

I don't breed Herefords, but, I have to agree with BEZ.
Is your "hereford" bull REGISTERED?? Maybe there's a little something else in his pedigree????
It is not uncommon for twins to be born 1 month early and dead. Another reason to HATE TWINS!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lt32ywf said:
Is your "hereford" bull REGISTERED?? Maybe there's a little something else in his pedigree????
It is not uncommon for twins to be born 1 month early and dead. Another reason to HATE TWINS!

Yeah, he's Registered. He a ET calf out of Nasdaq??? Amen on the twins comment. B&G

Jeanne - Simme Valley":35t815sf said:

have seen Jersey cross hereford come out all red, but I bought the cows in calf to Hereford and never saw the bull. Most had white on ther face, not all.
Hereford cross Jersey usually gives a brockle face, not straight white.
Month early will have hair, but finer and softer coat than a full term calf.

regolith":1v13rit6 said:
have seen Jersey cross hereford come out all red, but I bought the cows in calf to Hereford and never saw the bull. Most had white on ther face, not all.
Hereford cross Jersey usually gives a brockle face, not straight white.
Month early will have hair, but finer and softer coat than a full term calf.

Regolith,thanks for your insight. Your description of the hair was what they looked like. I wonder how much weight they would have gained in 30 days? As I haven't had any calves out of that hereford bull yet. :tiphat:

Latest posts