Conformation/Selection

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
I have been reading about the calving problems here and have myself nervous as I am about 3 weeks away from the first calf being due. This will be the first year I will be ALONE and on my own for calving. My mentors will both be out of state. I need to think about something else.
Many times the cow that may not be the "prettiest" or most perfect conformation produces some really great calves. She may have good genetics but a fault or two.
So, let me hear your opinions on why/how you select your cows in relation to conformation. I know that you don't want the sires to be too wide shouldered because of calving ease, you want a cow with a good topline, same reason, right? But what about the cow that may not be as "correct", what would you determine to be a red flag and the reason you would not select her. I have heard folks comment "she breaks behind the shoulder" what would this contribute to as a problem as a breeder? Let me hear what you will tolerate in conformation and what you will not.
Thanks.

36 views and no replies so I'll hop in with my two cents worth. Personally, I don't look for anything in particular other than how well the heifer has grown and whether or not she is pleasing to my untrained eye. I'll take good weight gain over anything any day of the week as I am not in the show business. Personally, I think you can micro study this stuff to the point that you will get ulcers. Don't worry about it, your girls are going to do fine. There could be the occassional problem but that is the rarity unless you really messed up on your bull selection. If you need something to think about, think about the positive. 99% of all cattle births can and should go unassisted. Good luck and we expect to see some pictures of the beautiful calves you are soon to have. Just my two cents worth. (Now you will get some replies as I've thrown myself to the wolves. :lol2: :lol2: )

Why, bless your heart. Just the words of encouragement I needed. Thank you. I do tend to get myself worked up, worry, fuss and stew. Oh boy the bull selection process.... I drove my brother nuts before I made my decision!

I also think you worry prematurely.

In a cow I want a decent capacity to give the calf room to turn into normal birthing position.
I don't like very long legs, for the same reason as above, long legs on the calf can get tangled up and be the cause of malpresentations.
I want the pins and the hooks to have a fair width between them (in actual fact what you can see from the outside usually don't say too much, but in my mind obviously narrow hips and pins relate to a smaller pelvic opening or is more likely to relate to a small pelvic opening.)
I want a SLIGHT slope from hooks to pins with a normal neat tailset.
And equally important I want a quiet disposition so that if I need to assist it don't turn into a rodeo.

Good luck with the calving season!

Thanks Knersie, do you know what the impact if any, on calving would be in a heifer that "breaks behind the shoulder"? I appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

We choose our heifers mainly on the growth that they exhibit. There are a few things that will cause me to cull out a growthy heifer though. Feet, and legs, she has to be able to get around, and here we are talking about grazing on up to several SECTIONS of land. So a cow with poor leg structure just doesn't work well for us. Since we are in the business of growth, and meat, I am not interested in a really fine boned animal. They generally aren't as beefy as a larger boned animal. I want a heifer to look like a heifer, better chance of her being highly fertile. Width, length and depth are also important, if you cow doesn't have it, you need a heck of a bull to put that into her calves. And frame, I want a cow in the 5-6 frame range, and we have culled out replacements just on frame alone. But, all this is relative, small flaws I can live with, large ones, maybe not.

CKC1586":36xdhbwf said:
Thanks Knersie, do you know what the impact if any, on calving would be in a heifer that "breaks behind the shoulder"? I appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

That sort of a flaw, should not have any impact on her ability to have, or even raise a calf. Depending on how bad she is, though, it may cause her to break down earlier that a cow that doesn't have the flaw.

Here is a 4 year old we have, that breaks behind the shoulder.

DSC01500.jpg

I agree with Randi that breaking behind the shoulder shouldn't have any direct impact on the ability to calve.

I suppose if you want to be really technical about it you could argue that breaking behind the shoulder could be caused by incorrect shoulder structure and if that is being passed on to the calf it could play a role.

Latest posts