CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL DAY

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad to see some people still show respect to the men that fought and died for us :) ...I live in McDowell, Virginia...its a fascinating thing to know that there was a war fought right where I live now...stupid yanks should have known not to come over the Shenandoah mountain :D ..are you familiar with the Battle of McDowell?...yall should come on by and check out the battlefield...its 100% the same as it was in the civil war...no big monuments or bunches of people and tour guides...just a fun place to walk around and remember the past...them yanks didn't know what was in store when they marched over the mountain and had the Great Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign waiting for them :D

God bless yall and God bless the South :)

Keep traditions alive

Have a good day

My great great grandfather received a Yankee mini ball in the mouth. He was stitched up and reinlisted. Named his son, my great grandfather, after General Lee. My great, great, great grandfather died in Atlanta and is buried there, where he was defending the city from Sherman's siege. Sometimes I like to think of how the state in which I live was not in the US. For a few years, this was a totally seperate country; another reason the South is such a unique region of the country.

I'm torn -
I have ancestors that fought for the confederacy and other ancestors that fought for the union, so far I've been unable to put their units together at a battle but I won't be surprised if I do

My Great Great GrandDad - Joseph Robert Nowland, served with Cobb's Legion from Georgia. Lost a leg, but made it home after it healed, brought home a black powder musket which I still have. Purchase land in Clay County AL and lived off the land for the rest of his life. We still own the property. Buried not far from here.

Must'va been one tough fellow.

Thanks GrandDad for your service.

Great grandfather, Great Great Grandfather, all of my Great uncles, and all of my Great Great uncles

25th Virginia Infantry Regiment..."Jackson's Foot Calvary...the Splendid Regiment"

Fought proudly by the side of one of the greatest General's of all time, God's General, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

McDowell and Allegheny Mountain Boys

Very proud of my family and my heritage...Also very proud to live in McDowell where my relatives fought for what they knew was right...I will live here until I die...and they can spread my ashes on the Shenandoah Mountain where many noble men fought and died

I hope them 25th Virginians are still looking down on the McDowell Battlefield smiling at how they fought and came out victorious up on that misty mountain in 1862 :D

God Bless the Confederacy

God Bless all those who have died for our country.

Old flaboy is a still fighting to preserve some semblance of the old south. :lol:

Great grandfather took one through his wrist. Soon as he was able he went back to it again. He fought and was willing to die in defense of his homeland and for what was right.

HE!! NO I AINT FERGETTIN'

Great Grand father Corporal Washington Steel Guard (GA) Miniball in the head at Gettesburg (they covered the hole with a beaten out silver dollar, Stiched him up and he lived until 1890
Never owned a slave (was Cherokee), but believed in states rights

A couple of posters have mentioned 'fighting for what was right'. I would really like an explanation of this. From the history books that I've read and even the declarations of causes of suceding states the main reason given over and over again is slavery and continually uses the term "slave states". You can try and tell yourselves that it was all about states rights but everybody knows the main reason was slavery. I don't know how anyone can say that was what was 'right'.

Maybe they have different history books in the south than the rest of the country and maybe they deny the accuracy of historical documents that the rest of the country accepts. I'm not trying to offend anyone or disrespect the brave men that fought in the civil war on either side. It's just I have seen and heard statements about the South being "right" several times and it doesn't seem so to me.

My understanding (which is limited) is that the issue of slavery was brought into the mix by Lincoln, who was basically looking for foreign allies in a conflict which was already brewing. The US was one of the last places where Caucasions were enslaving Africans, and by the time of the Civil War, the rest of the world was largley opposed to the practice.. Lincoln knew that if he made the war seem to be about the abolition of slavery, he could build a coalition to crush the Confederate Army, if necessary.

Add to all that the fact that the winners write the history books, and you get "slave states" and "free states."

That said, you can't say that the Civil War was or was not about slavery without being wrong. Some fought against a federal government, some fought for slavery, some fought against slavery, some fought for a federal government... Some probably didn't know what they were fighting for, but gave it hell anyway.

Heck i never said it was right. im againts slavery and folks now day dont focus on that anyway . most soilders never owned a slave. but you will have a he!! of a time changing folks mind about the south it just the way it is. you would have too grow up in the south too know what im talking about.most of the soilders fought and died because they didnt want too change their way of life and we still dont ;-)

The Civil War was fought against Northern Agression. Had not a thing to do with Slavery.Blacks sold their own people. Had nothing to do with picking Cotton.

I am guessing you are correct in that there were a lot of reasons why people enlisted on both sides. And with communication being what it was back then, some probably had no idea what they were actually fighting for. I don't know how accurate the old movies are but they alway portray every young boy as itching to join, the reason didn't really matter much.

the subtle way are lives are changing every day by the PC folks removing flags, sticker's memorials. and then when you try to preserve it you are considered a racist