Condition

Help Support CattleToday:

How to add lbs to Heifers fast ?
Marry them! It worked two times for me. :lol: :lol:
SL

vs_cattle":39a83bsx said:
No realy real heifers not girls lol :oops: so whats the best way to add lbs to my beef cattle

Sorry; there is no fast way. If they have been on feed I would go to one of the show formulas, high calorie,high protein, and an implant. If they have not been on feed you the have to work them up to it gradually, as the rumen system contains microbes that break down foods. There is one type of microbe that breaks down forage and another type that breaks down starches.

What are you trying to do with them? Show em or breed em. If its the latter, I'd be careful not to put too much on them too fast.

I just want them to look good for breeding season right now they dont look bad but there more on the border line so I know if it was time to calve this heifers would lose condition while milking so I want them almost to the fat side so when the time comes they will be back to normal instead of being on the low side

Personally, I'd be careful pushing them if you want them to be good momma cows. As you know, pushing them too hard could mess up their milk production later on or lead to calving trouble. I give mine the best grass but nothing more. If they can't get conditioned on this, it indicates to me they are going to be high maintenance and I don't need em. JMO

On top of what has already been said, make sure you have them on a good worming program and they are getting good grass, not having to forage so much they can't put pounds on. If you have no grass, supplement them with hay. Also make sure they have minerals.

Alan

vs_cattle":1nxyx7h3 said:
I dont warm them on a reg bases so whats the best brand to warm them to

I'm no cattle expert but, I worm 3 times a year and rotate between a good pour on like Epernex (sp), it is a Merial product that won't come off in the rain and Ivomec Plus, an injectable.

Worms can really harm a cows ability to gain weight and maintain body and coat condition.

Alan

vs_cattle":3uo9aadx said:
I dont warm them on a reg bases so whats the best brand to warm them to

In my area, if you are not going to worm on a regular basis the best time to worm is in July. This will give you the biggest bang for your buck so to speak.

Bez>":1t60ftst said:
vs_cattle":1t60ftst said:
Whats the best way to add lbs to Heifers fast
Thanks

Not necessarily the answer - but for the future - better genetics works the best.

Bez>

The genetics are there the animals are not showing signs of starvation just I want them to look their best I made a mistake pastures where bad this year and I dident feed acordingly so I'm to blame for my situation now I want to know how to fix it the fastest I can now there on good feed

vs_cattle":2gs60lpo said:
Bez>":2gs60lpo said:
vs_cattle":2gs60lpo said:
Whats the best way to add lbs to Heifers fast
Thanks

Not necessarily the answer - but for the future - better genetics works the best.

Bez>

The genetics are there the animals are not showing signs of starvation just I want them to look their best I made a mistake pastures where bad this year and I dident feed acordingly so I'm to blame for my situation now I want to know how to fix it the fastest I can now there on good feed

I have purchased cattle like you are describing.
Just like it took time for them to get that way, it will take time to bring them back up. I agree with what others have said about the fat deposits and what the outcome may be if overfed at this time. Good forage, protein supplement, if necessary, mineral, time, patience. It is also a good time to determine which ones are the easy fleshers. You may want to do some futher culling.

Latest posts