Computer replacement time

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My computer is fixing to turn 6 and is statring to give me troubles. What is old for a computer?
Everytime the power goes out it doesnt want to boot up. The power goes off frequently out here . I have a surge protector but it still doesnt like the power being on and off so often.

Technology wise they;re old at a year sometimes 6 months. I rebuild mine every 2 years and I'm still alwasy just a bit behind the curve. But I still run 98SE on this box, the other one runs XP Pro

The one I'm using now is over 10 years old, we've got a 7 month old Dell sitting beside it that hasn't been turned on since February. It's slower than this old jalopy!

cfpinz":oeocd7n3 said:
The one I'm using now is over 10 years old, we've got a 7 month old Dell sitting beside it that hasn't been turned on since February. It's slower than this old jalopy!

First thing you have to do is plug it in to electricity, the second thing you need to do is contact dell and find out what the porblems is.

yeah technologically it is old but unless you want to drop a grand or more for a good one i suggest you run it till it completely dies. Our windows 98 lasted us 8 years and the tech guy at best buy were we got the computer we got now an Emachine was like wow thats amazing that it lasted that long. I like the one wehave now its pretty fast. It helps if you have a good spysweeper and antivirus programs it helps them run a lot better and smoother it also helps to have faster internet or at least not dial up otherwise if u have dial up of course it is going to be slow

dun":2n0euis3 said:
cfpinz":2n0euis3 said:

First thing you have to do is plug it in to electricity, the second thing you need to do is contact dell and find out what the porblems is.

I'll have to double-check the first suggestion but I've already talked to every camel jocky in India and they've even sent someone to our house. Seems our phone line has too much static in it and the new computer is more sensitive to it than our old one. They run at 28k and 53k, respectively. Even got a new modem and motherboard. That's why I'm impatiently waiting on that new high-speed over the powerline modem to come in...

cfpinz":sgt2q3qi said:
I'll have to double-check the first suggestion but I've already talked to every camel jocky in India and they've even sent someone to our house. Seems our phone line has too much static in it and the new computer is more sensitive to it than our old one. They run at 28k and 53k, respectively. Even got a new modem and motherboard. That's why I'm impatiently waiting on that new high-speed over the powerline modem to come in...

When you said it was slow I assumed you meant the processing was slow, not the communications. As llit up as you were about the new modem deal I figured you should have had it and been up and runnign with it by now

Clfpinz, if you are talking about BPL,you may be waiting awhile. Im not sure but I think that is dead in the water untill they solve their interference problems.

We have dsl and a four year old Mack that Kathy just updated and it works great. Our Daughter just bought a new Dell and does not like it. The Dell has a larger screen than my old Mack and I like that feature but still prefer the Mack. Tom :cboy:

My wife needed a new computer about 8 months ago. One of our talk show hosts (Neal Boortz) advertizes Vision Computer out of Atlanta - where he is located. It sounded good, particularly that the hold time for tech support is 15 seconds - and it is!

We bought a Vision. You talk with the techinicia who actually will build your computer and he will design it to your needs - Dell is getting less flexible. We picked it up in about one week. They have all kinds of options, but if you have a question , just ask and quickly you get one of the computer builders on the phone to answer your questions.

Recently, she heard a noise in the computer, and called and in 15 sec a guy is on the line, tells her that it sounds like a fan going bad- there are five fans in her computer. He sends it overnight, she puts it in and it is fixed. Now that is support and service.

We are very happy with Vision and will purchase again. I believe the warranty is three years. One other thing. She took her old computer to them, and they removed all of her data from the hard drive and placed it on the new computer for her - nice extra.

http://www.visioncomputers.com/

Billy

im on my 3rd pc right now.the 1st 2pcs lasted 5yrs more or less.the 1st 2 pcs was custom built.an i payed over $1000 for them.the last 1 is an emachines an its 1.5yrs old.an i gave $750 for it at wal-marts.

denoginnizer":2108ejat said:
My computer is fixing to turn 6 and is statring to give me troubles. What is old for a computer?
Everytime the power goes out it doesnt want to boot up. The power goes off frequently out here . I have a surge protector but it still doesnt like the power being on and off so often.

It may be time to take it to a good computer expert. Might be something very minor. Try to find some one besides the geek squad. Talk to some of the business people in the area and find out who they use.
Might cost very little to get it tuned up.

When I first bought my very first computer, I was sold on the whole "it's gotta be an IBM" thing. Back then there wasn't as many different choices I dont think, or at least I wasn't aware of them. I bought a 1996 IBM and just loved it, it did everything I wanted it to, and for it's time it was large and fast. I upgraded it here and there and added memory to it, and hard drives etc. I had since learned that other brands can be as good (or even better) than the old bench mark. In fact, I don't even think IBM makes personal equipment anymore.

A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to buy something built in this century. So I upgraded to an HP slimline. I really like it. It a hundred times faster with the processor than my first machine, a hunder times larger in memory and about one tenth of the cost.

The Internet isn't any faster though, because I too am limited by the slow speed dialup, and I'm too cheep to go with anything faster. :compute:

Latest posts