Commodity sheds for feed dealer/mill

Help Support CattleToday:

bgunzy

Reaction score
I've recently started selling DDGS to local cow/calf and small feedyard operations. Right now I'm storing a semi load's worth in a bulk bin, then running it out into a mixer for weighing, then loading into the truck. A little time consuming, but its low-budget at time being and it works.

As this business may expand, I'm considering whether or not constructing a commodity shed to store various co-products (DDGS, soy hulls, wheat midds, soy meal, etc) or to invest in more bulk tanks. I somewhat like the idea of a fully enclosed commodity shed where a semi truck could back up into and unload either out the back (belt trailer) or bottom (hopper bottom), and the product would be moved at a right angle into the "stall" either by conveyor or skid-steer. When mixing/loading, the skid-steer would haul the product from the stall to the mixer.

However, I'm concerned that this might create a mess and potential cross contamination of feed, and a certain amount of waste. Bulk tanks would eliminate most of this, but a greater level of automation (augers, wiring, switches, etc) would be required to handle it with ease.

Does anyone know of a feed retailer storing bulk feed products in commodity sheds? Does it work, or does it have problems? Thanks!

your best bet is to build commodity shed with ever how meny bays you want in it.if you build them right each bay can hold 3 or 4 semi loads.as for cross contamination youll have to keep your loading an unloading areas clean.i dont think bins are a good idea for storage.because in the summer the bins will heat an sweat causing your feed stuffs to spoil.the bins are a pain to clean out.

bgunzy":1paovqvf said:
I've recently started selling DDGS to local cow/calf and small feedyard operations. Right now I'm storing a semi load's worth in a bulk bin, then running it out into a mixer for weighing, then loading into the truck. A little time consuming, but its low-budget at time being and it works.

As this business may expand, I'm considering whether or not constructing a commodity shed to store various co-products (DDGS, soy hulls, wheat midds, soy meal, etc) or to invest in more bulk tanks. I somewhat like the idea of a fully enclosed commodity shed where a semi truck could back up into and unload either out the back (belt trailer) or bottom (hopper bottom), and the product would be moved at a right angle into the "stall" either by conveyor or skid-steer. When mixing/loading, the skid-steer would haul the product from the stall to the mixer.

However, I'm concerned that this might create a mess and potential cross contamination of feed, and a certain amount of waste. Bulk tanks would eliminate most of this, but a greater level of automation (augers, wiring, switches, etc) would be required to handle it with ease.

Does anyone know of a feed retailer storing bulk feed products in commodity sheds? Does it work, or does it have problems? Thanks!

Yes. http://www.royaloakfarmllc.com/ It's located near the Bedford Country line near Johnson Mountain. Send him an e-mail and he may send you some pictures.

I bought feed there all last summer. He has a nice setup. One long bin for 16% gluten/soyhull pellets. I would guess he could get 20 trailer loads in that bin. The rest of the bins are smaller and just guessing they'll hold 20-30 tons. Those are used for straight corn gluten/14% feed pellets/peanut hulls/ cotton stems/ and seed hulls and several more for bread,cakes and such. The main building is a hoop type with the cloth cover/top. The long bin beside it is a type of lean to where the 16% is stored. They use a Volvo loader and the bucket will hold 5,000 lbs. of the 16%. They also have a bagging deal set up with scales on it. One of those feeders you put in a pickup to feed in the pasture. They use a skid steer to dump feed in it.

The bulk loaded feeds are weighed on truck scales at the office. Those hoop buildings have been there for 11 years and no problems with the tops. He uses live bottom trailers on what he brings in. Outside hauling if hydraulic dump, unloads in the main building. It looks to be about 50' high.

I've e-mailed him several times and he always replies. Pick his brain. He may give you some good ideas.

Just wish we could still get the feed here. Hard to come by now.

Complete feeds in Sharon WI, does this with commidity bays

Stocker Steve":2gm63wit said:
What is a commodity bay?

An area enclosed on 3 sides and a roof that is used to store the various commoditys for mixiing feeds,
There are a couple of feed and fertilizer dealers in town that use a different commodity shed for storing fertilizer and feed. Each application has it's own mixer and bagging/truck loading area.

dun

As long as your still in the planning stage. Why not use hopper bottoms and augers to storage bins. Skid steers would leave to much and clean up would be time consuming. Still there would be a little mixed, but I believe that's always the case.

Most of dairies around here that went the route of commodity sheds about 10 years ago have went back to bins. Mainly because of bird and rodent loss. I think someone mentioned completely inclosed sheds that would be different.

rkm":55vmy90e said:
Most of dairies around here that went the route of commodity sheds about 10 years ago have went back to bins. Mainly because of bird and rodent loss. I think someone mentioned completely inclosed sheds that would be different.

What type of bottoms and unloading set up do they prefer?

Thanks for the recent discussion. I'm now leaning toward a totally enclosed commodity shed that would allow a truck along one long side of the shed, then dump product and unload into bays at a right angle. The truck alley would also be used by a load to move the products to a mixer. Bird netting would be placed around the building to keep the critters out of it as much as possible.

Steve, I really never noticed, just noticed that everyone was puting up tall metal type. When we dairyed, I couldn't wait to get our commodity shed, but after a couple of years I was sick of it. The last three years we milked cows the birds would come in nov and stay until april.

Latest posts