Commerical heifers vs registered

Help Support CattleToday:

L Weir

Reaction score
I know some of you show commerical heifers. What is the difference between showing commerical vs showing registered heifers. I know registered heifers need to have papers, and are fit at some shows. Are commerical heifers shown the same way and judged on the same things? Just curious, we don't have the opinion of showing commercial heifers in our county.

In our area most of the shows all the heifers show under commercial. The biggest difference they show by weight not age. Personally I like it that way because then no one can cheat by changing the age. We groom them the same as registered heifers. Plus the commercial classes all youth so if your an adult who wants to show you have to show registered heifers.

Around here there isnt any difference. Both registered and commercial are shown by age, same judge, same qualities, same type of clip/fit. Commercial is usally a little tougher competition and most of the time takes Overall Grand Champion Heifer.

L Weir":1ut244wc said:
I know some of you show commerical heifers. What is the difference between showing commerical vs showing registered heifers. I know registered heifers need to have papers, and are fit at some shows. Are commerical heifers shown the same way and judged on the same things? Just curious, we don't have the opinion of showing commercial heifers in our county.

not much.. One of the things is that a commerical cannot show breed. here we have overall commerical and overall reg.

well here commercial is techincally called market. you have a market heifer or a market steer. i dont really know how to explain it. i guess its for market oviously. you get them fatter so they look better for slaughtering. but you can still register them, they dont have to be though. and your registered here is called breeding. they have to be registered. and you dont raise them to go to market. and a market animal has a shorter body length then a breeding.

Latest posts