V_Key

Reaction score
Gilroy, California - The Dam End of the Santa Cla
Commercial Transportation of Equines to Slaughter

The recent VS proposal to amend the regulations regarding the commercial
transportation of equines to slaughter is available at

http://frwebgate2.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bi ... n=retrieve

The proposal has instructions on how
to make a comment, if desired. The comment period ends January 7, 2008.

The actual changes are simply listed as replacing some words with
others, so if people are interested in seeing the effects of those
changes on the original document, the final rule (from 2001) is at

http://frwebgate6.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bi ... n=retrieve

1 As with the amendment proposal, the discussion section of the document is far longer than the rule itself, which is at the very end. However, the discussion section also includes
interesting information.

The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, if passed, will (in the US)
end the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the domestic and
international transport of live horses or horseflesh for human
consumption, which would make the VS rules moot. Animal protection
groups are continuing to push for passage of this bill. For more
information on its history, see

http://www.awionline.org/legislation/ho ... /index.htm

. For an alternate viewpoint, see

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfa ... es_faq.asp

I think human consumption of horse meat is fine. I have opinions about the methods for shipping, containing, slaughtering, etc, and contact my representatives frequently on all these issues. I won't join/support any organization that opposes slaughter.

branDcalf":48szdddj said:
I think human consumption of horse meat is fine. I have opinions about the methods for shipping, containing, slaughtering, etc, and contact my representatives frequently on all these issues. I won't join/support any organization that opposes slaughter.

Could not agree with you more. I love my horses, but at the same time, you can only bary so many of them. People have got to remember they're not generally running sound, usable horses through the slaughter...

Horse slaughter is a fact of life an necessary evil of the horse industry. Non horse people, and some horse people, who oppose horse slaughter don't realize what they are doing. Where are those hundreds of thousands of horses that used to be slaughtered going to go? There aren't enough rescue organizations in the world to absorb that kind of influx. They want to ban slaughter, but don't have a good plan to do with these horses. I think it's cruel to transport horses for days to a slaughter facility with out food and water, but with only 3 facilities in this country what can they do? People opposed to horse slaughter won't let new facilities be built so horses have to be shipped cross country. Horses are LIVESTOCK not pets! Some may be near and dear to your hearts, I have a few who are and will never be sold, but they are still livestock and should be treated as such. I have extensively researched and written articles about horse slaughter and the ban of horse slaughter and I can't believe it's gotten this far. The horse slaughter industry is the most regulated of all industries in this country. If this ban passes and the transportation of horses across borders for slaughter is banned too, don't think that is going to be so easily enforced. I think horse slaughter should continue until something more economical and organized it proposed. Every year there are literally hundreds of thousands of horses registered in the U.S. and that doesn't count grade foals born. Where are all of these horses going to go? People need to get their heads out of the hind ends and put it back on their shoulders and start using their brains on this one. An abrupt stop the horse slaughter is going to put the industry in a serious bind for years to come. Hold on it's going to be a bumpy ride!

I guess you are supposed to put the old sick ones in intensive care until they die and then have a full funeral and burial? I think the idiots that are behind this need to have all the carcasses of neglected and otherwise useless horses piled up in their respective living rooms, garages, and yards.

And I disagree - some horses ARE pets and I don't have any problem with the owners of those pets disposing of them any way they choose (I have a few myself) but yeah the vast majority are livestock and should be handled as such, not made essentially illegal.

Hippie I agree that some horses are pets, but they are still classified as livestock and should fall under livestock laws. My 3 year old mare is my baby and I wouldn't sell any horse knowing it as going to be slaughtered. However, I don't need the government restricting my life even more and telling me what to do with my private property. I feel horse slaughter is necessary to keep the industry healthy. I realize some of the animals being slaughtered are normal, healthy, active horses, but slaughter also is a means to econimically dispose of those horses that are too far beyond retraining. The agressive, ornery, and downright mean horses. I just don't know what else to do. I feel helpless to stop this dang bill!

Did I miss something? I was under the impression that the horse slaughter ban passed both the house, and the senate - according to what I've read, at least. I believe the slaughter plant in Illinois was granted a temporary reprieve by that states Supreme Court (I don't know the grounds behind it, though) - but that has since expired, and they are now subject to the provisions of the ban. I'm confused by this thread, because I don't see how one can stop a law that has already been enacted, nor do I see the relevance of sub-par transportation (although I'm certainly not contesting that that was the case) to slaughter when that slaughter has been banned. Help? :? :?

can still ship them to Mexico for slaughter (maybe Canada too?)
Not real pleasant. Another typical example of do-gooder busybodies trying to do something that has major unintended consequences.

Hippie Rancher":1n82u55y said:
can still ship them to Mexico for slaughter (maybe Canada too?)
Not real pleasant. Another typical example of do-gooder busybodies trying to do something that has major unintended consequences.

The ban addresses shipment to other countries for the purpose of slaughter - and forbids it - so it can't be done legally, but I know that won't stop people from trying to do it.

From what I know without checking I don't think it's passed. The Illinois plant was closed down because the governor passed his own bill banning horse slaughter for human consumption in his state. Horses are being transported to Mexico at an ever increasing rate for slaughter. I think it's up over 300% from last year. If the ban passes it will outlaw transporting horses over international borders for slaughter, but I think it will be hard to enforce.