Coming to a theater near you I mean country.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Somalis riot over food pricesStory Highlights
Two protesters reported killed by government troops

Shops refuse to take Somali currency, demand U.S. dollars

Shops close in fear of demonstrations

2.6 million Somalis need food aid, United Nations says

Next Article in World »

MOGADISHU, Somalia (CNN) -- Thousands of people rioted in the streets of the Somali capital on Monday to protest rising food prices and shops' refusal to accept Somali currency.

Demonstrators run through a Mogadishu street on Monday after grocers sought dollars for purchases.

Witnesses said two protesters were shot dead by Somali soldiers who were guarding buildings that were attacked by demonstrators.

Abdinur Farah told The Associated Press his uncle was one of those killed.

His uncle was shot as he marched with his two wives and six children, Farah told the AP.

"He was just peacefully expressing his feelings," AP quoted Farah as saying. "It is saddening that the very government which is supposed to support him killed him."

Abdi Ud, a journalist with Somalia's Shabelle Media Network, said the protesters were angry because Mogadishu shopkeepers refused to accept Somali shillings and instead demanded payment in U.S. dollars.

Shops throughout the city closed down in fear of the demonstrations, he said.

The United Nations recently warned of "a deteriorating humanitarian situation" in Somalia as a result of soaring food prices and a worsening drought.

Don't Miss
U.S. airstrike kills al Qaeda leader
Ethiopian troops kill 13
"About 2.6 million Somalis now need assistance -- more than a third of the country's population, representing a rise of 40 percent since January," according to a May 2 U.N. news release.

The problem in Mogadishu has been compounded by heavy fighting between Somali government forces, backed by Ethiopian troops, and Islamist fighters.

Parts of the Somali capital have been described as ghost towns because of the exodus of thousands of residents because of the fighting, which has surged in recent weeks.

The U.N. says 7,000 people fled the capital after bloody battles last month, joining a population of displaced Somalis that aid groups estimate tops 1 million. E-mail to a friend

I believe that dog has bitten the hand that tried to feed it before. I'd suggest letting the Islamist handle the catering on this one.

Jogeephus":1nekl4xh said:
I believe that dog has bitten the hand that tried to feed it before. I'd suggest letting the Islamist handle the catering on this one.

They can starve IMO it is time for us to stop buying foriegn products and giving aid to countries that hate our guts.
Instead of feeding them need to use the money to build dams, school, power plants, refineries, to employ Americans and feed them.

CB you are dead on on this we need to quit worrying about everybody else and start worrying about ourself's.

rattler

Latest posts