combating soil compaction

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
What do you all do to combat soil compaction - here on the clay, it happens pretty quick.

aerator,, your soil conservation dept or extention office should have one,,back when scrap iron prices was soaring i saved a old one from the crusher

alacattleman":1bbkjusu said:
aerator,, your soil conservation dept or extention office should have one,,back when scrap iron prices was soaring i saved a old one from the crusher

Hi. What does the one you have look like? Thanks in advance.

it looks like a disc plow with a front roll and rear roll off set from each other.. each disc has 8 inch spikes its pretty old,, i work up the street from the yard and watch the guys drive by with some pretty good finds piled on their trailers

seems like something more aggressive than an aerator would be required - maybe not. it seems to me they'll pull plugs and all but still leave most of the soil compacted.

I like a chisel plow but I also have a pretty good subsoiler too. Our clay is a bit lower than yours for sure but it really makes a difference if you run these from time to time. Also helps you remember where water lines are run.

Latest posts