Colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Would you rather buy frozen (fresh) colostrum, or buy the dried store bought stuff??

• Fresh Frozen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dried Store bought

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

randiliana

Reaction score
Had a brain wave today. Since I milk out some of our better milkers for colostrum, I thought about maybe taking it one step further and selling some of what I milk, and maybe milking a few more cows this year. Cows are on a vaccination program, and I would only be milking the best milkers that are in better condition. Of course, I would be sure to milk AFTER the calf had a suck. So, would you be interested in buying from someone like this our would you stick with the dried stuff??

Your shelf life would be an inhibiting factor at both ends, not to mention, when you need it you need it now, not tomorrow.

You would also have no way to gaurantee/list the nutritional or associated contents.

3MR":2dc77v4z said:
Your shelf life would be an inhibiting factor at both ends, not to mention, when you need it you need it now, not tomorrow.

You would also have no way to gaurantee/list the nutritional or associated contents.

Shelf life would be limiting, but colostrum can be safely frozen for up to a year. And, with 170 cows, I should be able to keep some on hand. But, it would be on a "first come/first serve" basis. I sure have no intention of out competing the commercial stuff. An advantage would be that I am available in the evenings, and on Sundays.

And you are right, I could not guarantee the nutritional contents.

randiliana":25x7eobc said:
3MR":25x7eobc said:

Shelf life would be limiting, but colostrum can be safely frozen for up to a year. And, with 170 cows, I should be able to keep some on hand. But, it would be on a "first come/first serve" basis. I sure have no intention of out competing the commercial stuff. An advantage would be that I am available in the evenings, and on Sundays.

And you are right, I could not guarantee the nutritional contents.
since your cows are vaccinated regular. and are in good health. probably be as good as most cause any colostrum would beat none id use it. bet milkmaid could answer this one since she deals with holsteins

I have some gallon zip lock bags frozen. Both first milk and additionally some raw milk. Hopefully I will never need them but we all know it could happen. There have been times when I wished had some. A calf needs colostrum at birth and has to have it within 24 hours of birth.

If there is anyone in this proximity that would ever be in need, feel free to contact me and you can have some of either.

Frozen colostrum loses potentcy as it ages. Also, your cow, in your area may not have what my calf, in my area, needs the resistence for. The cow that has been in that area building resistence will. The powders are usually mixed up to be a fit all to some extent.

Im not saying its a bad idea; I just think you have a lot to overcome. Seems like it would work better locally, maybe even very well being you could get it to them right away. If I could get local natural colostrum, from a trusted source, as quick as running to the grocers I would probably go with it over the powder. All other things being close to equal, ie price.

backhoeboogie":cq7eyd9g said:
I have some gallon zip lock bags frozen. Both first milk and additionally some raw milk. Hopefully I will never need them but we all know it could happen. There have been times when I wished had some. A calf needs colostrum at birth and has to have it within 24 hours of birth.

If there is anyone in this proximity that would ever be in need, feel free to contact me and you can have some of either.

That's a generous offer, BHB! :)

Alice

Randi, I'd take the fresh frozen over dried...

Alice

well i probably wont be call'in on you here in alabama. :p but ive seen the photos of some of your cattle and they aint pamperd. so they have too have a pretty hardy imune system. id say it would be a good source in your area

3MR":2edbbuhf said:
Frozen colostrum loses potentcy as it ages. Also, your cow, in your area may not have what my calf, in my area, needs the resistence for. The cow that has been in that area building resistence will. The powders are usually mixed up to be a fit all to some extent.

Im not saying its a bad idea; I just think you have a lot to overcome. Seems like it would work better locally, maybe even very well being you could get it to them right away. If I could get local natural colostrum, from a trusted source, as quick as running to the grocers I would probably go with it over the powder. All other things being close to equal, ie price.

I guess, I should have said, if you could buy this from someone in your area. It wouldn't be perfect, of course, but I know a lot of farmers/ranchers that WILL NOT milk out a cow. It is definitely better to use colostrum out of your own herd.

ALACOWMAN":1xeq1ptq said:
well i probably wont be call'in on you here in alabama. :p but ive seen the photos of some of your cattle and they aint pamperd. so they have too have a pretty hardy imune system. id say it would be a good source in your area

Well, thank you guys. Ala, you would be much better off to find someone in your area ;-) I just don't know how it would ship long distance 8). And yes, these girls don't get much pampering around here. They are expected to work for a living.

I would give it away, but if I am going to the trouble of milking a cow out, and trust me these girls definitely aren't milk cows, I sure want some "danger" pay ;-) .

I know the "good" dried colostrum here runs about $20 for 1 feeding.

Yep $20 to $25 per single serving here also.

Maybe a good place to get an idea would be from your vet.

I know when I have needed it in the past, I usually head over to one of the larger dairy's in the area (we have a lot), and 9 times out of 10 they've got a new momma on hand.

randiliana":hrcpjob0 said:
I would give it away, but if I am going to the trouble of milking a cow out, and trust me these girls definitely aren't milk cows, I sure want some "danger" pay ;-) .

And I would buy it from you if I needed it.

I have a holstein jersey cross nurse cow. Right now she has two heifer calves on her in addition to her bull calf. I should have bought another split when I bought the two that are on her right now. I am milking an additional half gallon plus each feeding. I pour a full half gallon into a nurse bottle, bring it home and strain it, then freeze it. So I have raw milk frozen anyway, plus she didn't have the calves on her initially so I had to milk her down resulting in surplus first milk that is also frozen. Anyway, if I don't wind up using it, no need to throw it away if someone else could use it.

What I will probably do is go to Dublin on Friday and pick up another black split about two weeks old. I'll keep it on the bottle a few days days with her milk. That should put her scent in it and make things easier. I will take that calf and rub it down with a sponge of her milk and let it dry during that time on a warm day. Then I will take it to the pen and when she comes in to get feed, I'll let the fourth calf in with the other three. If she doesn't take it, I'll have to put her in the head gate for a few days but I think she'll take it. She's a pretty good nurse cow. I am tired of milking her out.

backhoeboogie":f6ojd3oj said:
And I would buy it from you if I needed it.

I have a holstein jersey cross nurse cow. Right now she has two heifer calves on her in addition to her bull calf. I should have bought another split when I bought the two that are on her right now. I am milking an additional half gallon plus each feeding. I pour a full half gallon into a nurse bottle, bring it home and strain it, then freeze it. So I have raw milk frozen anyway, plus she didn't have the calves on her initially so I had to milk her down resulting in surplus first milk that is also frozen. Anyway, if I don't wind up using it, no need to throw it away if someone else could use it.

What I will probably do is go to Dublin on Friday and pick up another black split about two weeks old. I'll keep it on the bottle a few days days with her milk. That should put her scent in it and make things easier. I will take that calf and rub it down with a sponge of her milk and let it dry during that time on a warm day. Then I will take it to the pen and when she comes in to get feed, I'll let the fourth calf in with the other three. If she doesn't take it, I'll have to put her in the head gate for a few days but I think she'll take it. She's a pretty good nurse cow. I am tired of milking her out.

Those good nurse cows are worth their weight in gold aren't they. We have a holstien. Got her last year as a 2 year old, she raised 3 calves and is due to calve here within the next month or so. Should be able to put 3 on her again, and possibly 4. Last year, we hobbled her for the first 2 calves and she took the 3rd one with no fuss at all, so hopefully no problems this year. Plus, we may be able to have the "extra" calves on hand when she calves this year, and just give them to her then. That should make it easy ;-) .

We get frosen colostrum from one of the dairys and keep it on hand. It's a dairy that I have supreme confidence in their herd health program and that they've had a closed herd for years. May not be as complete for our farm as from our own cows but I still think it beatrs the frozen stuff. They charge me a whopping 2 bucks a gallon.

dun

randiliana":3lqkn1ns said:
Had a brain wave today. Since I milk out some of our better milkers for colostrum, I thought about maybe taking it one step further and selling some of what I milk, and maybe milking a few more cows this year. Cows are on a vaccination program, and I would only be milking the best milkers that are in better condition. Of course, I would be sure to milk AFTER the calf had a suck. So, would you be interested in buying from someone like this our would you stick with the dried stuff??

Here, dairymen usually had frozen colostrum. I've had a couple pints given to me. Neighbor relations.
If you told your neighbors you had colostrum for $ "x" /pint you might pick up enough to enjoy the cash. Don't think you'll get rich, but you might get dinner at a nice restaurant or some such.

john250":1v5h1tbn said:
Here, dairymen usually had frozen colostrum. I've had a couple pints given to me. Neighbor relations.
If you told your neighbors you had colostrum for $ "x" /pint you might pick up enough to enjoy the cash. Don't think you'll get rich, but you might get dinner at a nice restaurant or some such.

That is kinda what I am thinking. After calving we can go out and celebrate with the extra $ ;-)

If I need colostrum I can get it from the Jersey dairy down the road. He charges $2 gallon. I get milk that can't go into the tank for $1 gallon to feed calves when I need it.