Colostrum replacers

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of brands of this stuff at the coop in my area. Does it really replace colostrum which should be received from a mother cow? I have a cow who will be calving soon and am unsure of her history. I want to be ready in case she wont take the calf. I could probably get some frozen colostrum from a dairy which is a ways from my home but a replacer would be alot more convienient if it is what it says it is.

george

My vet recommended Lifeline. It mixes real nice. I have seen in a white pac with yellow and blue writing a "save A Calf" dried bovine colostrum. Made from dried dairy cow colostrum. Some says to complement mothers colostrum, not replace.

Rookie,

Yes the powdered colostrum version replaces mothers milk. If you look in the back of the package it will list the ingredents. It should have the bovine immunoglobulin in it. And then also protein.

The mix has been a life saver and time saver.

Just make sure you have a big bowl or bucket and a wisk (hand or electric) to mix it. It takes awhile to mix together. The powder will not mix in hot hot water as well as the warm water. Use the whole package. It may look like a lot when you pour it in though. But make sure you don't mix it until you need it. Because if you don't need it soon the mix won't keep very good. And that's alot of money to pour down the drain if you don't use it.

Forgot to say which brand I use - Colostrx

cattle_gal":3tv6zqt7 said:
Rookie,

Yes the powdered colostrum version replaces mothers milk. If you look in the back of the package it will list the ingredents. It should have the bovine immunoglobulin in it. And then also protein.

The mix has been a life saver and time saver.

Just make sure you have a big bowl or bucket and a wisk (hand or electric) to mix it. It takes awhile to mix together. The powder will not mix in hot hot water as well as the warm water. Use the whole package. It may look like a lot when you pour it in though. But make sure you don't mix it until you need it. Because if you don't need it soon the mix won't keep very good. And that's alot of money to pour down the drain if you don't use it.

Forgot to say which brand I use - Colostrx

This is the same stuff we keep on hand and had to use this year. Watch the expiration date on the package.
While the stuff from a dairy would probably be better, maybe not. Do you know what diseases they may have that could affect your herd. I have a selection of half a dozen dairys I can get frozen from, there is only one that I would use.
Keeping frozen on hand is a good idea, just be cautious of the source.

dun

I've used two or three of the different colostrum replacements.. I think they're all good! They've improved greatly in the past 10 years or so. I've had very good luck with any of them.. although Colostrix is probably my favorite. It does mix a little better.

Thanks to all of you for the info. Really glad I found this board! I've learned a ton of stuff just readin the posts.

george