Collie question

Help Support CattleToday:

Some believe that the Sheltie or Shetland Sheep dog is a miniature Collie. Though a member of the Collie lineage, they are not really "a miniature". Just a smaller package of their own breed.
From what I understand........
I once had a Sheltie.

branguscowgirl":125h4y09 said:
Some believe the Sheltie or Shetland Sheep dog is a miniature Collie. Though a member of the Collie lineage, they are not really "a miniature". Just a smaller package of their own breed.
From what I understand........
I once had a Sheltie.

yeah I knew about the sheltie and thought it might be a miniature Engish but googled it and found out they are a different breed. I thought that one may be what i want but it says they bark alot. I don't need that. Google does not show a miniture collie.

And yes I'm looking for a lap dog!

They do not always bark a lot. Like any breed, individual personality and training count.
They look exactly like a miniature Lassie. Their hair takes a lot of grooming! The ones I have been around could be sneaky nippers, (like many herding dogs.)

branguscowgirl":1a1pheov said:
They do not always bark a lot. Like any breed, individual personality and training count.
They look exactly like a miniature Lassie. Their hair takes a lot of grooming! The ones I have been around could be sneaky nippers, (like many herding dogs.)

It also said that they are very intelligent, great with kids and people they know but a little shy around strangers but they shed bad. BCG, have you ever had one or been around them much?

Deepsouth":1ovhibzs said:
branguscowgirl":1ovhibzs said:

It also said that they are very intelligent, great with kids and people they know but a little shy around strangers but they shed bad. BCG, have you ever had one or been around them much?
Yes I had a tri color, my friend had a blue merle. True that they are intelligent, mine was shy also. He would sneak up behind and bite strangers in the back of the leg.
If someone other than me tried to move him away, he would bite them. Very protective.
The hair was a nightmare. Tangled and matted if you did not groom a lot. They are double coated, so you have a thick undercoat to remove in the summer. Forget about shaving it off, because they look hideous shaved! Plus they need it for insulation.
Personally, I would never have one again. But some people do not mind the grooming and personalities will very as with any breed, so I would hate to label them all as "nippers".

Bigfoot":31fz79e5 said:
Corgi/heeler makes a nice small dog.

That would be a cool cross. I have seen corgis bred with some breeds that made the most interesting cool dogs, my favorite was a corgi/weimaraner my wife wanted that dog bad lol.

CaddoFarms":3guzoj0k said:
Bigfoot":3guzoj0k said:
Corgi/heeler makes a nice small dog.

That would be a cool cross. I have seen corgis bred with some breeds that made the most interesting cool dogs, my favorite was a corgi/weimahappens theife wanted that dog bad lol.

I have a good friend who raises corgis to sell. I like them but he is getting $600 apiece for them. Thats to high for my taste. Maybe I should throw that old long haired winner dog over in with one of his gips and see what happens. :lol2:

Angus Cowman":3ny45urr said:
They are breeding Corgis and heelers they call them Cowboy Corgis
There sure are some cute crosses. I would check all the humane societies. :D
Ours are loaded with small dogs. The heart breakers are the ones that the owners have passed away. :(

branguscowgirl":hmxhxi4i said:
Angus Cowman":hmxhxi4i said:
Ours are loaded with small dogs. The heart breakers are the ones that the owners have passed away. :(

The thing is when I was a boy I had a collie but I'm not sure what it was. It was colored like an English but I don't remember it being as big as an English. It may have been a Shetland. It would work cows, tree squirrel, bay snakes and run deer. What more could a boy ask for. It would fight other male dogs and was pretty protective at the house.

Deepsouth":2kb2lduw said:
branguscowgirl":2kb2lduw said:
Angus Cowman":2kb2lduw said:

The thing is when I was a boy I had a collie but I'm not sure what it was. It was colored like an English but I don't remember it being as big as an English. It may have been a Shetland. It would work cows, tree squirrel, bay snakes and run deer. What more could a boy ask for. It would fight other male dogs and was pretty protective at the house.
Well then a Sheltie might be what you want. They do have strong herding/heeling tendencies. And are protective.