coccidiosis?

Help Support CattleToday:

soonerfan

Reaction score
One of my brahma cross cows had a calf a few weeks ago that had bloody scours at two days old. I gave him some LA200 over a week and he appeared to get better but still not well. Over the next week he improved, but was never very active. A few days ago he started the bloody scours again. When I went to give him some meds I noticed the hair was coming off of his feet as well. I had run him out of the pond twice and out of a wet area several times also. I assume he was trying to ease his sore feet. So the question is, can a 2 day old calf get coccidiosis and would that have anything to do with his feet? Any help would be appreciated.

This is another protozoal parasite...naturally occuring and causes problems when they ingest a lot of the oocysts. Another that is treated by supportive therapy although I have heard some say sulf helps I bet that is more due to it taking care of secondary complications. Once they are showing signs it has run it's course. Two days old seems young to have it. The life cycle from ingestion of oocysts to clinical presentation of symptoms is over two weeks, from what I remember. Definately not 2 days. Could there be a way the little fella got it from his mom? I am not sure if this can happen. No idea on the feet.....never saw that but I am sure there is something out there that could cause it........

I use to see bloody scours the most with Clostirdium........

Then there was always that calf that was just destined to not make it. I think they are just sometimes born with internal problems that have nothing to do with bacteria or viruses or anything else.

Get him electrolytes at least twice a day......tube if you must. Is he still drinking....will he take a bottle......please let us know what youfind out. The loss of hair on his feet is interesting. MK

(welcome from another Sooner fan!) Don't have much coccidiosis experience, cept for the summer my in-law called me in a panic and said I needed to run out and spend $100 to treat my calves at a store an hours drive away, an hour before they closed for a holiday weekend--PARDON me! I am not bitter!! By the way, mine didn't have it, but I couldn't figure out a way to seperate that stuff out of their water to take back for a refund. Gots to love crazy in-laws!!! (nobody else does!) Hope you get the little one to feeling better.

coccidiosis usually affects calves from 1 month on up. had a calf that had bloody scours last january, i just gave him la200 & he was fine. never heard of the hair deal

soonerfan":1bw46v7m said:
So the question is, can a 2 day old calf get coccidiosis and would that have anything to do with his feet? Any help would be appreciated.

The answer is categorically NO, a two day old calf cannot possibly have coccidia. Endotoxins are the problem, likely clostridial C&D. The calf needs to have the bacteria and toxins bound and removed from the body. As I've written before, I personally give them activated charcoal orally with IV fluids with added dextrose--going to capture and flush all I can. My survival rate is pretty darn good on saving them. Just treating with antibiotics will kill the bacteria and release more toxins. You need to diagnose then vaccinate the cows with the toxoid to the toxin identified. There may be antitoxins available to treat the calf. Oh, and the hairloss on the feet is likely part of the whole syndrome.

Good Luck
V

Endotoxins are the problem, likely clostridial C&D.

Well the calf died last night. But I do appreciate all the help. I do vaccinate the cows with Triangle 9 and a lepto shot twice a year. Will this carry over into the newborn calves or should the receive a shot when they hit the ground? My place is downstream from a larger ranch that is notorious for shipping in and out large numbers of questionable quality calves. Sick, dying and dead calves can be seen often. I have often had to run their dying calves off my fenceline.

I believe it takes 3 weeks or so for coccidia to make its way into a calfs gut. We have had terrible bad bouts with it in the past. Not from native calves but stockers that we bought for wheat pasture. One load of calves had bloody scours coming right off the truck and we were dragging them off the next morning. It can be a Big problem mainly cause it can live in the ground for so long. For years and years I have been told but I could be wrong about that. We treated with Corid in their drinking water for 21 days or until they left the pens. If one of them had it we drenched with Corid for 7 days. Also used Deccox in our starter pellets.
You have to really be on top of it though cause it can get out of hand Quickly. I've noticed the calves will have a clear discharge out their butt before it turns in to a bloody scour. The time to treat it is Before the bloody scours come.!!
bif

soonerfan":3poz6i3u said:
One of my brahma cross cows had a calf a few weeks ago that had bloody scours at two days old. I gave him some LA200 over a week and he appeared to get better but still not well. Over the next week he improved, but was never very active. A few days ago he started the bloody scours again. When I went to give him some meds I noticed the hair was coming off of his feet as well. I had run him out of the pond twice and out of a wet area several times also. I assume he was trying to ease his sore feet. So the question is, can a 2 day old calf get coccidiosis and would that have anything to do with his feet? Any help would be appreciated.

Hair loss in baby calves can happen if over dosed with medication.
If we get babies with scours, we treat right away scour pills and pepto-bismol. The calf probably has high fever, and is hanging out in the water to cool himself, which is natural for cattle to do.
Coccidiosis usually attacks calves at a later age I believe. We treat our calves with that bug...'Primor 1200mg'. This medication is designed for treatment for dogs with coccidiosis, but its the only thing we have tried that works really well on the calves...

I'm not Marian, but yes, dogs can get coccidia. Only, it's for their species. Cattle get Eimeria zuernii, E bovis etc, dogs get Isospora etc.

Clear as mud?
V

Sooner.. sounds like you're in a less than idea situation with the folks next to you! I think I'd talk with my vet to find out an appropriate vaccination program based on the neighbor. That has to be very frustrating!

Latest posts