Clubby Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
What does a judge mean when he keeps referring to heifers looking to "clubby"? Just heard of a show where the judge kept mentioning that some calves were to clubby. I have seen one of the heifers that this was said about and I don't see it. He was making it sound like this is a bad thing. Just wondering.

I think it's a nice way of saying they won't be very functional in the pasture.

They look too much like a club calf steer.
It is not a compliment.

ETA: Too straight through the hocks (post legged); lacks feminine characteristics = steer looking head, neck, and sometimes very small external genitalia; looks like she is ready to go to the rail

At the shows in our area, kids are getting heifers that look like steers and feed them like steers because they see what places in the steer classes. A fat heifer will have problems reproducing. Abdominal fat will restrict the fallopian tubes preventing the egg to pass. A friend who buys Commercial Heifer projects at our Fair's CH Sale told me that most of the heifers he buys never have a calf. He said that if it weren't for helping the kids, he would never buy a show heifer.

Unfortunately some judges do not look at heifers as breeding animals and will place heifers that will not make a good mother cow.

showmomof2":2gb54f77 said:
What does a judge mean when he keeps referring to heifers looking to "clubby"? Just heard of a show where the judge kept mentioning that some calves were to clubby. I have seen one of the heifers that this was said about and I don't see it. He was making it sound like this is a bad thing. Just wondering.

My hat's off to the judge. Sounds like he knows how to judge cattle based on what they will be used for. Clubby is not a good thing for heifers

Thank God for judges that know what they are doing rather than sticking their finger in the air to check which direction it is blowing on a given day.

Jovid":29vq0d1d said:
showmomof2":29vq0d1d said:

My hat's off to the judge. Sounds like he knows how to judge cattle based on what they will be used for. Clubby is not a good thing for heifers

I agree with you, Judge did a good job. I think its funny how this post was made and all the responses have been that its a bad comment; yet, you still see those "clubby" looking heifers at shows/sales. :?

On my other post where I posted pictures (pictures of our girls) would you consider the simangus clubby? She came from the same farm as the one at the show who was called that.

Latest posts