clover

Help Support CattleToday:

bluegoose 1

Reaction score
I would like to know if any one can tell what kind of clover that I have. It has a purple spot on each pedal Thanks for the info George

In general terms, if the back of the leave is smooth (fuzzless) it's a white clover and if it's fuzzy it;s a red clover. That should get you pointed somewhat in the direction to figure out what it is.

Is the spot heart shaped? Not sure but I'm thinking it is actually a medic. Have some like it around here, just can't find an ID right now.

I'm thinking maybe woodsorrel. Saw some young plants today with purple almost a heart shape on the leaves

One of the jillion varietiess of wood sorrel (pic rom a previosu thread titled "? 3 spot clover)
ws.jpg

How about this one?

Clover_Seedpod.jpg

Clover.jpg

Seedpod is a lot like Burr Clover except it isn't a flat round. It is more like a ball. Leaf is quit a bit larger and has the "heart" shape marking.

1982vett":1v9kx0x0 said:
How about this one?

Clover_Seedpod.jpg

Clover.jpg

Seedpod is a lot like Burr Clover except it isn't a flat round. It is more like a ball. Leaf is quit a bit larger and has the "heart" shape marking.
Hop clover (a medic)

I don't know Dun. The leaf is kind of large and the flower is pretty small compaired to the hop clovers I've looked at. I'll agree, I think it i a medic and have found reference that to the spot on some bur medics. Just no pictures of a leaf with the spot. Flower and stems are very similar. I just can't find the link to the one I know I've seen before.

Doesn't really make any difference to me. Just wondering if this is similar to the one Bluegoose is trying to ID.

Vett
I also have a lot of this one. I farm in the black soil in central texas so I assumed it to be a medic but have not found out the true name. Is it a native?

I found this description but no pic so I am not positive with the ID. I have never seen this legume and I am curious if it has any significant forage use.

Burr medic leaves are almost hairless. The leaflets are wide and rather flat at the top, and sometimes have purple and white flecks on the upper surface or a small purple inverted V mark at the base of the leaf

bird dog":3bc3dtw6 said:
Vett
I also have a lot of this one. I farm in the black soil in central texas so I assumed it to be a medic but have not found out the true name. Is it a native?
I have counted at least 5 varieties of medic on my place, along with sweet clover. I don,t know if there are even names for all the different medics.

novatech":3ja85edb said:
bird dog":3ja85edb said:
Vett
I have counted at least 5 varieties of medic on my place, along with sweet clover. I don,t know if there are even names for all the different medics.

Yes bird dog, it is native or at least it didn't come in anything I planted. It has been around for years. Just never really paid any attention to it until this thread started.

Novatech, I'm beginning to think it is a conspiracy how how the extension services pound the table about planting legumes. I have caved in and planted Ball Clover and Apache Arrowleaf and Yucchi over the past 5-6 years. With the exception of this year, I never had anything to show for my expense. Weather being the factor. But I can walk the pastures and find all kinds of legumes. This one that I believe to be Persian Clover is the most common.
Persion.JPG

The photo is several years old, but this year with the grass being so sparse, it is like carpet. Never planted it, it is just here. Also have quite a bit of deer vetch down under along with a scattering of Calie Pea. Beginning to wonder why I'm so intent on planting something that doesn't want to grow. :lol2: I guess I'm going to blame Jogee. :p If he hadn't post pictures of his crimson...... :lol:

bird dog":3gf3g6rz said:
Vett
Hi. Where are you located? Thanks in advance. I am in Austin but the farm is near Goldwaite

1982vett":1t8xwt4n said:
novatech":1t8xwt4n said:
bird dog":1t8xwt4n said:
Vett

Yes bird dog, it is native or at least it didn't come in anything I planted. It has been around for years. Just never really paid any attention to it until this thread started.

Novatech, I'm beginning to think it is a conspiracy how how the extension services pound the table about planting legumes. I have caved in and planted Ball Clover and Apache Arrowleaf and Yucchi over the past 5-6 years. With the exception of this year, I never had anything to show for my expense. Weather being the factor. But I can walk the pastures and find all kinds of legumes. This one that I believe to be Persian Clover is the most common.
Persion.JPG

The photo is several years old, but this year with the grass being so sparse, it is like carpet. Never planted it, it is just here. Also have quite a bit of deer vetch down under along with a scattering of Calie Pea. Beginning to wonder why I'm so intent on planting something that doesn't want to grow. :lol2: I guess I'm going to blame Jogee. :p If he hadn't post pictures of his crimson...... :lol:
I did the same for a couple of years. I talked to a guy with TAMU that said I was wasting my money. If you have native then it would be hard to justify the expense on the little extra gain I would get with the clover I planted. That's a few hundred bucks a year I no longer spend.

Vett- I think what you posted is probably Jemalong barrel medic.
Pics:
http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pastures/ann ... r_friendly

Completely agree that to be economically feasible, legumes have to reseed on their own. Here in south-central/south texas Burr medic seems to do best (maybe due to drought tolerance?). I see it all over the place around Austin and San Antonio (on roadside, non-overgrazed pasture, and especially lawns :lol: ).

http://www.pogueagri.com/
These guys sell Jemalong and two types of Burr (but no Jemalong pics).

Kingfisher
I am about half way between Waco and Mexia a few miles off 84. I also have a place close to Hubbard that is sandy loam
and red clay. It is a lot easier to work.

Novatech,
This is what we are attempting on this place. Improve what we got and kill off the crap the sucks the water out of the soil. This is my third piece of property we are working on. It is a multi-year process. My wife says I am chemical dependent.

Latest posts