Close call

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
While bush hogging some pastures with blackberry bushes I almost bush hogged a new born calf that scared the shiza out of me I slowed down checked all of the big clumps I cut.

I'm glad you saw it. I've never run over a calf, but I've put a whitetail fawn through a hay cutter a few times. It'll make you feel sick.

that'll make for a bad day for sure!
Cross fingers, I've never hit a fawn.. well.. that wasn't already dead... One year I hit one, stopped and looked at it, it was already dead.. make a few more passes through the 6' high field and find the momma eaten up by yotes and whatnot.. perhaps she had a twin that didn't come out or some problem like that?
This year again on my first pass around the field I found a dead fawn right by a fence, no bite marks or anything on it, no dead momma around this time though.. who knows what happened.
I have hit a lot of grouse chicks and meadowlarks though :(

Rafter S":l8xdtdoh said:
I'm glad you saw it. I've never run over a calf, but I've put a whitetail fawn through a hay cutter a few times. It'll make you feel sick.

Definitely glad too..

Brute 23":l8xdtdoh said:
I had the same thing happen. It's a bad feeling. One more reason I hate shredding.

I had put off doing it and spraying then started getting clumps of blackberry vines if I can post a pic later ill show you.

Nesikep":l8xdtdoh said:
that'll make for a bad day for sure!
Cross fingers, I've never hit a fawn.. well.. that wasn't already dead... One year I hit one, stopped and looked at it, it was already dead.. make a few more passes through the 6' high field and find the momma eaten up by yotes and whatnot.. perhaps she had a twin that didn't come out or some problem like that?
This year again on my first pass around the field I found a dead fawn right by a fence, no bite marks or anything on it, no dead momma around this time though.. who knows what happened.
I have hit a lot of grouse chicks and meadowlarks though :(

It would have been a very bad day.. I wouldn't even want to hit any animal a calfs size dead or not that be gross

I hit a 2 day old heifer calf earlier this year with the bush hog. It was very sad. 3 acre field that I seeded too light in the spring and the weeds took over. It was in soy last year. Growth was about 3 feet tall with weeds. Cows and calves had been in part of the same field separated from this part with poly wire. Everybody else had moved onto the next pasture and I guess mama left this one hiding on the other side of the wire. I mowed almost the whole field before it happened. I couldn't believe it never got up and ran. I never saw it and don't think I hit it with the tractor before the bushhog.

I've never hit one, but my dad ran over 2 laying side by side last year. He was pretty traumatized.

quite a few years ago I was looking for a calf to tag....
I had a pretty good idea where it was....
I was on the tractor standing up looking for the calf...no cab
I heard the crunch when the back wheel ran over it...

I hit one with the bush-hog about a month ago; nice blaze-faced calf out of my wife's favorite heifer. I had been clipping ragweeds in the field right behind the house... knew just about where the heifer had put him down... mowed right past him and decided to quit while I was ahead.
Next day, she and the other heifer with a calf in that field had moved them across the ditch - and, I thought, up the hollow to the trees, so I finished that little patch, then decided to mow my orchard/nutgrove... She'd put him across the fence into a big clump of blackberries at the edge of the nutgrove. I was on top of him before I knew he was there. Made me SICK! Chopped one of his back legs off just below the hock, and knocked his tail off. We took him to the barn, sewed and bandaged him up, and got the heifer up with him. He did good, and was growing like a weed for about 3 weeks, then went septic and we ended up putting him down.
That day, we had a 5-6yo cow calve out with huge teats that her calf couldn't nurse, and we could barely milk... so we switched her calf over to the heifer whose calf I bush-hogged... she took him easier than any calf we ever tried to graft. Big-titted cow laid down and died about 3 days later... before I could get her to the salebarn.
Little bit of good... but a whole lot of stupid on my part.

Thanks for sharing that Lucky. I don't feel so bad when I hear that even a person of your medical ability will have one die on you just the same as us hicks from farm road six. I had a real nice 500 lb steer die on me earlier this year. As usual, I have no idea why but he was laying in a shallow wash with his head toward where the water flows through. We had a decent rain a couple days before and you could see where some grass and twigs had washed up around his head. It looked like he laid down to have the water run over his head or into his mouth and just drowned. The wash wasn't but about 8" deep and the calves legs were under him like they are suppose to be so I don't know what happened.
It darns sure makes you sick.

Latest posts