Cloning

Help Support CattleToday:

whitecow":2b8pmyiu said:
True that mitochondrial DNA is only passed on through the egg. Hence, it has no affect on male clones. There have been several studies looking at differences in mtDNA and very few have found any correlation to mtDNA sequences and any measureable traits. One study in dairy cattle did find an association between milk components and mtDNA but it is not clear that that correlation was not also associated with chromosomal genotype. Other differences that clones may have are associated with epigenetics (e.g., DNA methylation). The DNA methylation patterns of clones may be different than the original and different from each other. However, the next generation or the offspring of clones seem to have normal methylation patterns. My interest in cloning "248" was to get as many offspring out of her as I can. I expect they to be just as good as offspring from the original.

FWIW, 8 of my clones are peas in a pod. Even the position of the ovaries/uterus/broad ligament as heifers was identical. One heifer looks a bit different and her repro tract was a bit different. However, I expect her offspring will perform just as well as all the others.

George, M6 Ranch has a Charolais & Hereford bull sale tomorrow. They are also selling some show prospect heifers. Our place is about 10 miles south of M6.

Thanks for all the information - and clearing up my misconception. I don't know why I thought you worked for M6 Ranch, but somehow I came to that conclusion from past posts here. Probably your close proximity.

Any idea why the one clone is different from the others? What might have caused it?

George

Herefords.US":3n3nzwj6 said:
Any idea why the one clone is different from the others? What might have caused it?

George

I suspect it has something to do with epigenetics. Maybe the methylation patterns caused some genes to be/or not be turned on at the same time in development as with the other heifers. One of the many "experiments" I plan to do is access the methylation patterns of offspring from each of the clones and from daughters of the original cow to see if there are differences. I expect the patterns to be quite similar, but it will be interesting to see.

whitecow":10mfnhkd said:
Herefords.US":10mfnhkd said:

George

I suspect it has something to do with epigenetics. Maybe the methylation patterns caused some genes to be/or not be turned on at the same time in development as with the other heifers. One of the many "experiments" I plan to do is access the methylation patterns of offspring from each of the clones and from daughters of the original cow to see if there are differences. I expect the patterns to be quite similar, but it will be interesting to see.

Thanks. I was wondering if it was something that was easily apparent - like the surrogate mother not being as good a milker or illness or something.

The fact that cloning can be done sure opens up a whole lot of new research avenues. It's got to be a great time to be a geneticist!

George

redcowsrule33":1ajam0vm said:
dun":1ajam0vm said:
If cloning was 100% a reproduction of an existing animal it might have more practical applications.

It is interesting you say that, dun, as clones are "supposed" to be identical twins of the original. However, they can't be as there is one part of your DNA that comes exclusively from the maternal side, the Mitochondrial DNA. This is because you inherit the mitochondria through the egg. To my understanding, unless you use eggs from a related female through the maternal side you will have different mitochondria. I don't think they are replacing these as well as the nuclear dna when they clone, or am I mistaken? If they aren't, then the power plants at the cellular level (mitochondria ) are different. This could theoretically affect the overall performance and metabolism of the clone, no?
-

Not "theoretically" - ABSOLUTELY! This is very deep (cellularly speaking) stuff, but it is my understanding that "clones" are never the absolute duplicates as their 'cloners' (if that is a correct definition? :???: ). The Lord made NO mistakes, and to absolutely be able to clone and absolutely duplicate another individual IS playing GOD. Improving genetic determinations IS part of scientific improvement, but there is a stopping point to absolute perfection. IMO - cloning is the locked door!

I could be wrong. It has happened in the past!

DOC HARRIS

I think when cloning is totally worked out , the animals will be perfectly the same...

I see cloning at the next step to cattle breeding...Playing GOD..no more than A.I.ing, or selective breeding , vacing, deworming all things that are unnatural to cattle...Might say the same about Humans...In the end it all works out to the survivel of the fittest, or in some classes the Fasters...

I have a Bovine clone farm in my area....they are cloning non registered cattle from their extensive ranching operations....IE a 20 year old cow that had a calf every year on the Bruneau desert, and others.....It is an interesting thing....Scott Simplot's pet project...

giftedcowboy":3ar4shoo said:
I have a Bovine clone farm in my area....they are cloning non registered cattle from their extensive ranching operations....IE a 20 year old cow that had a calf every year on the Bruneau desert, and others.....It is an interesting thing....Scott Simplot's pet project...

That makes more sense than most reasons for cloning. That's proven genetics.

Latest posts