Cloned horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I had some buddies, and their kids over tonight for a little practice. One of them told me that the aqha/clone controversy had been settled in court. I'm sure it's not over, nothing ever ends. That's not the point of this thread. I haven't decided how I feel about animal cloning. In the case of scamper-----------I'm sure that if I had owned him from a colt, he would be a completely different horse, with no real value. I would also think that if I bred a mare to his clone, the outcome would be the same. Living here in Ky the jockey club is king in certain circles. I would venture to say that there are many grade horses that could win the Ky derby. We'll never know. The point being genetics will only take you so far. The rest is training and connections------------thoughts anyone.

Agreed. Unfortunately pedigree is what makes the big bucks. A grade horse, no matter how good, can only be worth so much, and will never be worth nearly as much as a registered horse. It's really a shame because some of the best horses I've ever ridden have been grade. What people forget is that most breeds of horses started out as what we now call "grade".

With clones you get the body,but not the mind. This works with cattle,'cause all you want is meat,but not with companion animals,where it's how the animal reacts and interact with humans that is what we want replicated.

Bigfoot":1j3nr6c2 said:
I had some buddies, and their kids over tonight for a little practice. One of them told me that the aqha/clone controversy had been settled in court. I'm sure it's not over, nothing ever ends. That's not the point of this thread. I haven't decided how I feel about animal cloning. In the case of scamper-----------I'm sure that if I had owned him from a colt, he would be a completely different horse, with no real value. I would also think that if I bred a mare to his clone, the outcome would be the same. Living here in Ky the jockey club is king in certain circles. I would venture to say that there are many grade horses that could win the Ky derby. We'll never know. The point being genetics will only take you so far. The rest is training and connections------------thoughts anyone.

Having worked the racetrack when i was young my opinion is the polar opposite! That means little except i look at it different than you do!

I am upset about the ruling against AQHA.

Yea. Let's just clone the successive and popular horses and make the gene pool smaller.

I can understand Charmayne James wanting to have a part her "heart" horse for longer than it's lifetime. Scamper was cloned because he was a gelding. But cloning entire horses (stallions and mares) is not a good thing to me. Talk about mass production.

3waycross":3mgrptb3 said:
Having worked the racetrack when i was young my opinion is the polar opposite! That means little except i look at it different than you do!

Not exactly the same but I use to tell folks that bout dairy cattle 3 Way....if she has the genetics to milk (or in this case run) she will make milk on anything. If she doesn't have the genetics all the feed, work and effort in the world is a waste of time and money. What's the saying about making a silk purse out of a sows ear. Won't happen.

When a horse wakes up in the morning, he has one of two things on his mind.....Homicide or Suicide...cloning would surely make him crazier. :cowboy:

Latest posts