clipping question on cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
Got a 4 year old Hereford cow that I'm taking with her calf to two county fairs. She's going mostly because I have fun with cow/calf pairs and because of tradition, she's gone every year. Her calf is young so we won't be taking them anywhere until the NAILE in November, after the county fairs in the next two weeks.

I have a clipping question on her. During the summer I can't get her hair looking as nice as the fall. I'm mostly frustrated with her belly in the summer. Would it look really funny if I clipped her belly real close, maybe a half inch? She has milk veins like a Jersey. At this point I'm thinking if it's a major disaster at least it will be grown out by November, haha.

Slick shear her. If she is any good she should be able to stand no hair this time of year.

Cut the belly a little. We have even slicked them down in the summer for shows. In fact, we had them about as slick as Ollies icon!... :shock: :lol:

Make sure you clip her neck real good so it will make her look a little more clean fronted. That is what we do and trim up there neck.

Most cows slick out by themselves and have very little hair to work with. I would clip the bellie hair very close, it's good to see the milk veins. If you get rid of most of the unwanted bellie hair now, you will be in better shape for NAILE.

I agree with everyone. Slick her totally off. We do ours as soon as it starts getting hot, they tend to have handle the summer heat better and have a better coat come winter.

Latest posts