Climate Migrations ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Short term more folks are staying home due to the virus. A longer term topic is people moving away from the coasts, and towards well watered locations, to avoid drought and hurricanes. Are you seeing any of this?

The good thing about living in Illinois is no one wants to move here, and one's that do want to leave after the first year. Politicians, and miserable weather will do that to ya.

We have been having some move into the county. Mostly to the out shirts of Baker City. Well watered? Climate? We will see how long they last. My specific location has had a slow population decline that has been happening over the last 100 years. The gold mines shut down, homesteaders went broke, stores and businesses closed, modern equipment the ranches need less hired help, smaller ranches taken over by the larger ones, the tavern closed, the gas station shut down, the cafe closed all to the point where there is no services at all here. There are empty houses which are slowly falling down. Kind of funny in that we have the biggest single employer in the county located here, yet nobody who works there lives here.

Yeah, I think it has more to do with money than weather.

Folks are leaving high cost areas and heading to cheaper states. Wages have simply not kept up with the costs of living, housing costs continue to skyrocket in high population areas.

I know a lot of guys that sold their homes in the northeast, west coast, etc. (which they paid pennies for, comparatively) and took their big bags of money to cheaper states and retired.

The current administration wants to fix that, which is fine and dandy, but I think increasing minimum wage is a pretty lousy way to do it.

We have been having some move into the county. Mostly to the out shirts of Baker City. Well watered? Climate? We will see how long they last. My specific location has had a slow population decline that has been happening over the last 100 years. The gold mines shut down, homesteaders went broke, stores and businesses closed, modern equipment the ranches need less hired help, smaller ranches taken over by the larger ones, the tavern closed, the gas station shut down, the cafe closed all to the point where there is no services at all here. There are empty houses which are slowly falling down. Kind of funny in that we have the biggest single employer in the county located here, yet nobody who works there lives here.
Dave here is a video about a man doing his last cattle drive in Lively CA. Thought you night enjoy. Look over the fact that it came from PBS. https://www.pbs.org/video/kvie-viewfinder-likely-story/

Dave here is a video about a man doing his last cattle drive in Lively CA. Thought you night enjoy. Look over the fact that it came from PBS.

Yeah, I think it has more to do with money than weather.

Folks are leaving high cost areas and heading to cheaper states. Wages have simply not kept up with the costs of living, housing costs continue to skyrocket in high population areas.

I know a lot of guys that sold their homes in the northeast, west coast, etc. (which they paid pennies for, comparatively) and took their big bags of money to cheaper states and retired.

The current administration wants to fix that, which is fine and dandy, but I think increasing minimum wage is a pretty lousy way to do it.
They want to "fix it" by taxing success into oblivion.

Likely CA is in Modoc County which is the furthest north east county in the state. Lots of such small rural "towns" are abundant throughout the state & virtually unknown to the general public. Same deal as the place I ranched in for 40 yrs prior to moving to OR a few years ago:

Bridgeville,_California

Here in NorthWest Arkansas it's unreal at the population growth. Up until this happened it was a nice place to raise a family.

It's unreal at the number of people buying these utility buildings from Lowe's to live in.

Families with a half a dozen kids living in a 12' x 30' foot tool sheds.

I don't know what has brought them here. It's not an over abundance of job opportunities.

There isn't much farm labor either.

Here in NorthWest Arkansas it's unreal at the population growth. Up until this happened it was a nice place to raise a family.

It's unreal at the number of people buying these utility buildings from Lowe's to live in.

I don't know what has brought them here. It's not an over abundance of job opportunities.

Nobody here is doing the tiny house living "thing", but I follow that movement online some. I would never do it, but it certainly seems to appeal to some.

I know of 5 additions to NW Arkansas (Farmington area), but they bought a 225k house.

Farmington is i guess what you would call a suburb of Fayetteville Arkansas. There are probably 5 new additions a month of $ 225 houses in that place. Packed in like sardines.

It's like most college towns. It's diffinately not farm country. You get far enough out and their are a few cattle farmer's.

Most of that part of Arkansas is a mixture of housing development's. One one side of the privacy fence you have your $ 225 k houses on the other side you have slum part of town. Drive a few more blocks and you have the old part of town. Any direction you drive you don't have to drive far to find anything to fit what your looking for ECEPT ! Space or seclusion. To get away from civilization you would have to drive alot of miles to do that.

The gold mines shut down, homesteaders went broke, stores and businesses closed, modern equipment the ranches need less hired help, smaller ranches taken over by the larger ones, the tavern closed, the gas station shut down, the cafe closed all to the point where there is no services at all here.
You know it is really really bad when the tavern closes...

Last edited:
I was planning to escape to Canada and buy some Herefords from Aaron, but then they closed the border. Will have to hang tough for a while since no one wants to come here, and that makes it a low virus area.

Last edited:
Farmington is i guess what you would call a suburb of Fayetteville Arkansas. There are probably 5 new additions a month of $ 225 houses in that place. Packed in like sardines.

It's like most college towns. It's diffinately not farm country. You get far enough out and their are a few cattle farmer's.

Most of that part of Arkansas is a mixture of housing development's. One one side of the privacy fence you have your $ 225 k houses on the other side you have slum part of town. Drive a few more blocks and you have the old part of town. Any direction you drive you don't have to drive far to find anything to fit what your looking for ECEPT ! Space or seclusion. To get away from civilization you would have to drive alot of miles to do that.
My daughter, husband and three kids moved there last June. I have not been yet, but have been through there before. Form looking at the pictures their house is one of the smaller ones in the subdivision. Their close neighbors either work at the college or hospital as one recommended her to the hospital admin. and she got a good job within two weeks. So far they like it as a very nice place.

Latest posts