Clearing Ground

Help Support CattleToday:

BrownCow

Reaction score
I have about 10 acres I am planning on adding on to my current pasture. It is mostly 10" around trees with some small shrubby things. I am going to use a track loader and push over these trees and shrubs. My question for you guys is that before I plant it should I plow it or just disc it heavily? Thanks
BC :cowboy:

I have converted a lot of worn out land to pasture. I have my own equipment and I find it best to leave the top soil in place as much as possible. You may have more top soil in that part of the state. Usually I windrow the trees and use them for erosion control since it is hilly here.
Here is a property I own that was done last Summer and planted in the Fall. The sown area was an abandoned 41 acre old pasture that had grown up in thickets and 10 year old pines. There were a number of hedge rows with trees in the 10 inch diameter range. The topsoil was left as intact as possible and this was the first crop following the reclamation.
NorthIredell.jpg

To answer your question, I'd harrow it as heavily as the topography allowed me to. My land is flat so I usually make two passes with and Rome offset harrow. Once I've done this I will pull a soil sample and fertilize and lime accordingly. I then plant annuals and allow time to work with me on removing the smaller stuff. Also as I harrow I will flag all the lighter stumps so I can sell them later. Usually get at least two sales from the stumps then I'll clean up what few float to the top later with a track hoe. Once I've stumped it and given the small debris time to rot I harrow again using a mold board and put in the permament pasture.

BrownCow":nvxgl4zk said:
I have about 10 acres I am planning on adding on to my current pasture. It is mostly 10" around trees with some small shrubby things. I am going to use a track loader and push over these trees and shrubs. My question for you guys is that before I plant it should I plow it or just disc it heavily? Thanks
BC :cowboy:

I would use a ripper or sub-soiler to pull the roots. Then offset disk and tandem disk, roll and seed.
Bear

We've found it best to time your land clearing with when you want to plant. The dozer work leaves the ground pretty loose. We might run over it with a field cultivator once, spread the seed and drag in with a cedar tree. We usually plant fescue with a little wheat for quick cover.

Latest posts