claustrophobia

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
Is it possible for calves -cows to have claustrophobia ? We bought 3 heifers in for a neighbor yesterday. One was a hereford and the other 2 were F1's. They let the hereford out and she was doing good when we left. He called this morning and one of F1's just about beat herself to death. The other F1 is doing fine.

resell it-- its not claustropobia- its a nut case that can't handle change(ie pressure). shes trouble and will cause trouble for the owner and all the cattle in with her.

I agree, get rid of it before it teaches the others. I wonder sometimes if people don't dope crazy calves before selling them. Seems they can sometimes be just as calm till you get them to your place then wham - they become as crazy as a s$%t house rat.

She's not trouble she's an F1. :D Leave her in their until she realizes it is a loosing battle. No different than halter breaking. If you are not willing or able to train her then get rid of her. I may add at this time that if you do not have the facilities or ability to handle F1,s then don,t buy them. F1,s don't only have hybred vigor but also hyper attitude. (brahman cross)
Personaly I feel that anyone new to cattle should stay away from any brahman cross cattle. Thay are really better off with strait bred brahman than crosses. Better yet break in with some docile older bos taurus. F1 brahman are for the very well experienced or the very well insured.

novatech":3vmiyra6 said:
She's not trouble she's an F1. :D Leave her in their until she realizes it is a loosing battle. No different than halter breaking. If you are not willing or able to train her then get rid of her. I may add at this time that if you do not have the facilities or ability to handle F1,s then don,t buy them. F1,s don't only have hybred vigor but also hyper attitude. (brahman cross)
Personaly I feel that anyone new to cattle should stay away from any brahman cross cattle. Thay are really better off with strait bred brahman than crosses. Better yet break in with some docile older bos taurus. F1 brahman are for the very well experienced or the very well insured.
Well it's my fault for letting the neighbors take her. I myself could have handle her. We use to raise white brahmas and some of them were pretty hyper. Heck I have 1 of my beefmaster cows that does fine. Until she walk into a pen and the gate closes. Then she has a fit. Open the gate and let her out and she's fine again.
The heifer got loaded up and takened to Nixon and sold yesterday. That was their choice and thats fine.

Years ago, I had an elderly friend of mine who had Beefmaster cattle. His cattle were so gentle you could walk up to almost everyone of them and they would stand there. One day he went to the pasture and there was a new cow in the pasture. As soon as the cow saw you it would take off running. Within a week or so the cow had his whole herd running to the far end of the pasture as soon as you pulled into the gate.

He asked me what he should do. I told him to check with his neighbors who had cattle to see if they were missing a cow and if so he should make sure they come get it asap. If not, SSS. I recall that he couldn't get the cow into the corral so I believe he used a 30-30 to take of the problem. It took a while for his cattle to settle down.

We bought some cows several years ago that were tame as could be at the sale barn. They were delivered later that night and two or three of them hit the corral, spun around and were ready to fight. They never did settle down and we had to hire horsemen to rope and drag them into a trailer to get them out of here. The only explanation is that they were doped.

Nowland Farms":374rcnw2 said:
Years ago, I had an elderly friend of mine who had Beefmaster cattle. His cattle were so gentle you could walk up to almost everyone of them and they would stand there. One day he went to the pasture and there was a new cow in the pasture. As soon as the cow saw you it would take off running. Within a week or so the cow had his whole herd running to the far end of the pasture as soon as you pulled into the gate.

He asked me what he should do. I told him to check with his neighbors who had cattle to see if they were missing a cow and if so he should make sure they come get it asap. If not, SSS. I recall that he couldn't get the cow into the corral so I believe he used a 30-30 to take of the problem. It took a while for his cattle to settle down.
I would do the same thing. All of our beefmaster are gentle. So is the one that freaks out when the gate shuts. If this cow would run in the fields and caused a problem with the rest of our herd she would be gone.
The only running our cows do is to the truck . Just see if they are getting cubes.

Latest posts