CIDR ?

Help Support CattleToday:

3G-A-farm

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for pointers in regards to insertion of EAZI-BREED CIDR's. I have 8 animals that I am going to sync, 4 heifers and 4 4-year old cows. I read the instructions on the package and just want to make sure I do it correctly. If any of you have opinions on sync protocols I would be more than happy to hear from you. I do not post here often, but do try and read the board every other day. Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Bill :?:

3G-A-farm":fka1xlvi said:
Hello. I am looking for pointers in regards to insertion of EAZI-BREED CIDR's. I have 8 animals that I am going to sync, 4 heifers and 4 4-year old cows. I read the instructions on the package and just want to make sure I do it correctly. If any of you have opinions on sync protocols I would be more than happy to hear from you. I do not post here often, but do try and read the board every other day. Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Type in CIDR, and do a search on this board. CIDRs have been discussed a few times, and lots of people have chimed in.

I personally like the timed AI protocol for heifers, but not for cows. I like to heat detect and AI on cows. It depends on the time you can spend with the heat detection, as that is key when it comes to the effectiveness of any AI efficiency. If you don't have the time necessary to dedicate to heat detection, go with the timed AI protocol. You will probably have a little bit less success, but it is a management tool.

bandit80":mi6f322y said:
3G-A-farm":mi6f322y said:

Regards,

Type in CIDR, and do a search on this board. CIDRs have been discussed a few times, and lots of people have chimed in.

I personally like the timed AI protocol for heifers, but not for cows. I like to heat detect and AI on cows. It depends on the time you can spend with the heat detection, as that is key when it comes to the effectiveness of any AI efficiency. If you don't have the time necessary to dedicate to heat detection, go with the timed AI protocol. You will probably have a little bit less success, but it is a management tool.

What is your reasoning for not liking the CIDR's on cows? Just wondering.
Double R

Double R Ranch":38cp8m7v said:
bandit80":38cp8m7v said:

What is your reasoning for not liking the CIDR's on cows? Just wondering.
Double R

I probably should have been more clear. I like using CIDR's on my cows, but would rather heat detect and AI after pulling the CIDRs vs. a timed insemination. CIDRs are by far the best synchronization tool available to cattle producers.

3G, Make sure you lube up the gun really good. Especially for the heifers. Note that you will not be able to insert them into a heifer as far. You could have tough sledding on the heifers as well. The Hyman may not be torn or may be really tough. Make sure you start at a upward 45 degree angle or more. Make sure the plunger is lower than the tip by at least 45 degrees. You can reuse CIDRs. Its suggested that you not reuse on heifers. I only use a CIDR twice. Once on a heifer, then later on a cow. Don't forget your drugs. Good Luck. :tiphat: