CIDR update

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
I am still working to save the heifer that had the CIDR left in her for 5 months.
I doubt any of you have dealt with something to this extent.(5 months)

The farm manager says that once a week she acts like she wants to come into to heat, but never finishes the cycle to drop an egg. So she may be cystic. The guy in charge of the fleck sale said give her a shot of cysterella. The previous owner said after that to try and just put her with a bull instead of AI.

I know many of you would have asked for your money back a long time ago if you knew how much i payed for her, but this is a one of a kind heifer. This fleckvieh has some very powerful genetics.
She is one of the thickest and longest fleckvieh I have seen. She is very deep bodied and has great legs. She has a very correct conformation. She was the best heifer that went through the sale.
If saved, this heifer will be one of the great ones.
The previous owner is a good guy and really wants to save this heifer and so do I. I am doing my best to save this heifer. If she turns up infertile, he and I will work something out.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?

The closest I came was a Hereford heifer that was grand champion Hereford female at the fair one year. The owner had AIed her and she didn;t come back into heat and he had palpated her as bred. When she didn;t calve I had our vet check her. She had one juvenile ovary and no second ovary. We hauled her to the salebarn and the seller refunded the difference. The real problem other then the irritation was setting our crossbreeding program with Gelbvieh on Hereford cows back a year.

The heifer that went threw that sale is the one that calved like she was supposed to and does it every year. Yours has only cost you even more money and time and you still don't have her breed much less a calf.

chippie":srldcbuw said:
Have you had your vet evaluate her? Palpate, ultrasound?
Or you just going by what the ranch manager says?

She was checked when she got there by a vet. She was open and had a Cidr left insider her which gave her a nasty infection.
I am not sure they last time she was checked. But he says she is acting cystic. The farm manager and the ranch owner are good people and have been dealing with things like this for a long time. This is worldwide known breeder with some of the best genetics in the world. I trust what they are saying.

If she is that good, I would think a 2nd trip by the vet would be in order. Why guess???? or take our opinion?? A good vet can palpate or better yet, ultrasound her & KNOW what needs to be done to save her. This is not the time to skimp on vet care.

BRAFORDMAN":2dtxnjis said:
chippie":2dtxnjis said:
Have you had your vet evaluate her? Palpate, ultrasound?
Or you just going by what the ranch manager says?

She was checked when she got there by a vet. She was open and had a Cidr left insider her which gave her a nasty infection.
I am not sure they last time she was checked. But he says she is acting cystic. The farm manager and the ranch owner are good people and have been dealing with things like this for a long time. This is worldwide known breeder with some of the best genetics in the world. I trust what they are saying.

ditto Jeanne.

how long ago did the vet check her? Was a follow up done to make sure that the infection cleared up?

If I had as much money invested in the heifer as you indicated, I would certainly take her to the vet for a follow up. He/she will have the equipment to do a better evaluation than watching her actions.

Why gamble? Besides it is for your own protection should you want to return her.

You may want to give Pfizer a call and ask one of their staff Vets. It's free and no one should know more about CIDR's and effects than the Manufactures staff Veterinarian. I believe Pfizer is the only manufacturer of CIDR's.

Alan

Goldie.jpg

Goldie.jpg

Here is the heifer( Nelore in background is mine). She is not bred yet, It has been two weeks of the three hat I am giving her.
Because of superbowl weekend she will have to stay at the brahman ranch another week. I am going to have them to induce heat and see what happens.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10586

Your man on the scene said she cycled every week.
Several people that have worked for you in the cows reproductive tract can't even find a cidr, much less a pregnancy.
LEAVE THE COW ALONE. Don't induce. You're going to have her so messed up that a magician can't get her bred. She's very likely pregnant and your man doesn't know it. Good grief.

ollie?":29ijntx7 said:
Several people that have worked for you in the cows reproductive tract can't even find a cidr, much less a pregnancy.
LEAVE THE COW ALONE. Don't induce. You're going to have her so messed up that a magician can't get her bred. She's very likely pregnant and your man doesn't know it. Good grief.

I talked to the ranch owner today. The brahman ranch where she is at is the place where the CIDR was discovered.
The shot of cysterella was given three weeks ago, so I think she is fine now.
I am not going to induce her. The farm manager feeds her twice a day, once in the morning and again in the evening and has not seen signs of heat. There is a chance that she could have bred at night and by morning the signs that she was just bred were gone.

She comes home the second weekend of february and I am going to take her to my vet, that i trust, to get palpated the 1st of march. The vet I normally use has never checked this cow and was not the vet that missed the Cidr. He was not available during the time i needed her checked so I used a different vet.

If the vet says she is bred, then she is staying. If he says she is open then she hits the rode.

BRAFORDMAN":2o0dfzik said:
ollie?":2o0dfzik said:

I talked to the ranch owner today. The brahman ranch where she is at is the place where the CIDR was discovered.
The shot of cysterella was given three weeks ago, so I think she is fine now.
I am not going to induce her. The farm manager feeds her twice a day, once in the morning and again in the evening and has not seen signs of heat. There is a chance that she could have bred at night and by morning the signs that she was just bred were gone.

She comes home the second weekend of february and I am going to take her to my vet, that i trust, to get palpated the 1st of march. The vet I normally use has never checked this cow and was not the vet that missed the Cidr. He was not available during the time i needed her checked so I used a different vet.

If the vet says she is bred, then she is staying. If he says she is open then she hits the rode.
What did your vet say?

Weather has stopped me from being at the farm. We were iced in at home during the second week of february. I only go to the farm on weekends while school is in. I didnt get the heifer back until the 19th(a week late) and the red brahman bull was with her until that date. The bull was never seen on her. There is a chance that she bred at night.
The only vet open on weekends in our area is the vet who said I had 16 open cows. And the majority of them calved or went through the sale barn as bred. So i refuse to use him.
My dad will have to take her during the week to our regular vet( since last year they are now closed on weekends).

Trying my best to have her checked by the end of next week. She had alot of overcondition when I bought her. She is now even fatter. I am hoping that there is a baby in there.

I will post update as soon as she is checked

BRAFORDMAN":1fizenjc said:
Trying my best to have her checked by the end of next week. She had alot of overcondition when I bought her. She is now even fatter. I am hoping that there is a baby in there.
Sounds like an animal that is nothing but problems.

A heifer that is overconditioned and has gained more weightis not always a good thing. Many that get fat like that do not conceive.
I hope that you get some good news from your veterinarian.

Latest posts