Cidr or sponges

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Howdy!
Because it is late in the season to do AI ,( due to various reasons things are late,) I need to sync my 3 cows cycles quickly. Many years ago I used "sponges" on goats to bring them into season, but have forgotten how to do even that, :oops: and not sure if one can use "sponges" on cattle, or if they have to use CIDR instead with cattle.
Any good thoughts??
thanks

never heard of sponges in cattle, could be in Canada. id use whatever is fastest and best. Could be the fastest or slowest, just a shot of pg(lute)will work if there at the right part of cycle. if they dont respond after first shot do it again in 10 days.

The reason I need to sync them is because I either have to haul them to have them AI-ed or someone has to come here to do the AI.. and we have decent distances between places here, not like the close little towns of other areas. and as the winter is approaching it makes time important. This last calving was late and the cows went over due..
Hay is hard to find, so don't want them to go through the winter open..

I would use the Cidr and do the 5-day Cosynch if your trying to gain some time.

Only way to tai off cidrs is following what is says on the package. Insert cidr and administer gnrh, day 6 lute, day 7 pull day 9 breed. Dont reinvent the wheel. Give shots and breed same time of day and you will be golden

Nite Hawk":2wtg4v15 said:
I was told that CIDR is a 10 day protocol not a 5 day protocol..
what are you doing different?
https://www.bovine-elite.com/NewsProtocols.pdf
See pp3-4 for Timed AI ("TAI") protocols. Summary: insert CIDR and inject 2cc GNRH on Day 1. One week later, remove CIDR and inject 5cc Lute ("PG"). Then, at X* or Y** hours later, perform AI and inject another 2cc GNRH.
*For Cows, X =60 to 66 hours.(see p3, right column, "7 day CO-Synch+CIDR-Cows")
**For Heifers, Y=52 to 56 hours. (see p4, left column, "CO-Synch+CIDR-Heifers).
Note: we have a tech come also, so we just do heifers and cows at the same time. We try to do the AI step about 58 hrs after the second step. This time of year (days getting short), I'd see when your tech can come and then back everything up from there. The hours lapsed between the second and third step are important. In terms of the 1st and second steps, we usually do them Sat am to Sat am but we don't worry about getting it done at exactly the same hour.
We've had, at times, excellent results with this protocol (close to 100% on first try last summer) but are running 55% on first try this summer which is a bummer. And I can never figure out what the $%! accounts for the wild swings....we did have a different tech last summer, and different sires.

Nite Hawk":38zkaz1v said:
I was told that CIDR is a 10 day protocol not a 5 day protocol..
what are you doing different?

Cows

Heifers

5 Day Co synch has the highest Conception percentage with TAI, but requires two shots of PG. Which means an extra time through the chute and extra cost.

Was talking to the vet and they use a protocol of 3 needle--estramate and factrile.. Have to pick up the stuff in a couple days with the instructions.. Seems a bit simpler than CIDR.. Just hope it works as well..

Latest posts