CIDR or bust with heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you know for sure your heifers are cycling GnRH-lute like and ovsynch will work.

I don't know if you can heat detect but here is my program and we like it.

Monday May 9th sort heifers off lute and sticker to observe standing heats and AI
Non-responders May 16th GnRH + Cidr
May 22nd Lute
May 23rd Pull cidr
TAI all+GnRH May 25th.

We settled all in that 16 day window last year. We use same program 3 weeks later on the cows. For mean it lightens up the work load and gets some that respond to lute out to pasture sooner.

We run a TAI program similar to Till-Hill.

April 29th 6pm: CIDR & 2cc GNRH
May 6th 6pm: Pull CIDR & 2cc Estromate
May 9th 11am: TAI & 2cc GNRH

Some people use this and wait for signs of standing heat before they AI. We run everything thru in a certain order and follow this order on breeding day. This way we can breed them all as close to 65 hours as we can. in the last 5 years we have had 100% Success rate with this program! 2 didn't breed but i don't count them since we discovered that the semen was bad.

The current sync programs were all designed for mature cows as the drugs involved are used to treat post calving problems. You can't expect a virgin heifer to have the same cycle as a fourth lactation cow and the protocals were based on the average cow.
The advantage of the cidr is that it boosts progesterone which is the missing link when you use only pg and gnrh.

Till-Hill":3afwdrlt said:
If you know for sure your heifers are cycling GnRH-lute like and ovsynch will work.

I don't know if you can heat detect but here is my program and we like it.

Monday May 9th sort heifers off lute and sticker to observe standing heats and AI
Non-responders May 16th GnRH + Cidr
May 22nd Lute
May 23rd Pull cidr
TAI all+GnRH May 25th.

We settled all in that 16 day window last year. We use same program 3 weeks later on the cows. For me it lightens up the work load and gets some that respond to lute out to pasture sooner.

I like this approach for heifers.

What would I gain by using CDIRs in cows that calved late in the season (about 6 to 8 weeks before we start breeding) ?

Better question for CP there. Personally I don't like using CIDR's in later calving cows. Ones I have been around seems we get more infection.

Biggest advantage to CIDR's than any other program is the conception rate at TAI then the biggest advantage I see is a higher conception rate to their repeat heat when bull exposed. They stay a lot tighter than say an Ovsynch group does IMO.

Custom AI set heifers last year with my CIDR program. May heifers trying to calve in Feb. Stuck 4/16. 2 were still open in the fall. When preg checked tho 9 were bred on that repeat heat. At first customer wasn't real happy but he bought a set of bull bred heifers. They are all strung out yet.........

steve.
You can move those late calvers up some by putting in a CIDR at 20 days post calving... for 5-7 days, the lute & pull. Did the tail-ender in the Fall group... but she didn't stick to her AI - but neither did some of the early cows that cycled back in on their own and were bred at the beginning of the season, so I don't know if it was a failure or not... she did stick to the cleanup bull, when she cycled back in 19 days later.

Lucky_P":239tafqy said:
steve. You can move those late calvers up some by putting in a CIDR at 20 days post calving... for 5-7 days, the lute & pull.

I had six late calvers last summer. Culled the five old cows I had purchased during the price run up.. According to doc - - two were short bred (moved back), two were late bred (about the same) and one had moved up. So they are gone, but 50% of the herd is still below average for fertility... :nod:

Latest posts