Chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
What kind of chute do you have and what do you like or not like about it? I've been thinking about building and selling some different livestock equipment and just looking for some different ideas

Priefert... I like how their headgate functions. Chute is a little small for big animals. Simple operation, reliable, lower cost than most. I've looked at others, from wht I've seen, I like a Lakeside 350/450 best, ArrowQuip would be a close second. They have parallel vertical sides that move straight in/out... better than the tilting side that the Priefert has, but more complicated. Headgate control from the rear of the chute too... but Priefert handles that with the auto that actually works well.

Arrowquip 84.
Every time a rancher or a vet comes to see us they end up taking pictures of the chute.
I sold a bull to a guy from Tyler Texas. I swear he spent more time looking at our squeeze chute then he did that bull.
The downside is, I think it's one of the most expensive manual chutes.
it's great you can work cattle by yourself no problem.

Another Arrowquip here. Definitely is the best chute I have ever personally run.

Fwiw, if I was starting into that area I would build high quality panels and bow gates first. Those are hard to find and much easier to build to start. Everybody wants something different in a squeeze and most designs are already out there. We all need good panels and gates.

How you been EZ? Long time no see.

For-Most. 375 portable w/ a 30T head gate, palpcage, brisket bar, and head table.
It's been in use since 2009. Still works like new.

I have a Powder River XL. Unlike the older models the squeeze lever runs parallel to the chute and pops up out of the way once you have squeezed the critter. I don't own but have run 2 different Silencer chutes. Absolutely, hands down the best chute out there. Unfortunately the most expensive. If you start making chutes go find a Silencer and study it.

I agree on the heavy duty gates. Problem is really heavy duty gates just get too expensive for most people. But you could maybe separate yourself by making custom made lengths and heights. Also maybe bi-fold gates or sliding extension gates, etc.

I have a real tuff chute and like everything about the chute. The auto headgate works great if adjusted correctly, but is a pain to adjust quickly. There are 4 pins in both the headgate and neck extenderand it's hard to get the holes in the tubes aligned. Figure out a better way to adjust the headgate and it would be an awesome setup.

As for corral panels, I very highly recommend the heavy 24' freestanding panels. They're pretty much bulletproof as far as being wrecked by a crazy critter... at least the good ones are. The ones I like are fully framed, with mitred corners. Very nice. But I still have need for some really good "bow gates"... and am not really satisfied with what's commercially available at the farm stores/sale barn.

We have a For-Most, with a palpation cage and automatic head gate. it works pretty good, has some good features.
Biggest problem is it's aptly named, For Most, but not for calves. It is challenging to work calves, largely due to the head gate.

We have a For-Most, with a palpation cage and automatic head gate. it works pretty good, has some good features.
Biggest problem is it's aptly named, For Most, but not for calves. It is challenging to work calves, largely due to the head gate.
That, and that calves always want to turn around in the palp cage, even if you've narrowed up the chute for 'em. I've always found the ForMost to be a kind of a noisy chute too, and kind of clumsy/clunky to make adjustments to. Just MO though...

That, and that calves always want to turn around in the palp cage, even if you've narrowed up the chute for 'em. I've always found the ForMost to be a kind of a noisy chute too, and kind of clumsy/clunky to make adjustments to. Just MO though...
Yes, they easily turn around and can go under the palpation cage gate. I have to follow them in and have another person, in our case my wife put a bar behind them in an improvised angle to keep real small calves from turning around even in the chute itself.
We had an old Filson chute that everybody fussed about, but it was seem like more adjustable and just with pins instead of bolts. I will say that the the For Most is heavier made and does have a few improvements on it in comparison.
We have less of an issue getting them caught at the hip now than before. Still happens on rare occasions and seems easier to get them out.

Yes, they easily turn around and can go under the palpation cage gate. I have to follow them in and have another person, in our case my wife put a bar behind them in an improvised angle to keep real small calves from turning around even in the chute itself.
We had an old Filson chute that everybody fussed about, but it was seem like more adjustable and just with pins instead of bolts. I will say that the the For Most is heavier made and does have a few improvements on it in comparison.
We have less of an issue getting them caught at the hip now than before. Still happens on rare occasions and seems easier to get them out.
11592D68-A86E-4E31-8787-42390BC50478.jpeg
Sometimes they do it on their own 🤣
This was at work.

I switch between a 25A head gate and a 30T. The automatic is handy for me by myself, but when we semen test bulls it's easier to catch them with the manual.
Just two bolts on and off switched in ten minutes.

View attachment 27812
Sometimes they do it on their own 🤣
This was at work.

I switch between a 25A head gate and a 30T. The automatic is handy for me by myself, but when we semen test bulls it's easier to catch them with the manual.
Just two bolts on and off switched in ten minutes.
Cafe' door type... don't like 'em. Straight in/out like the Priefert or ArrowQuip/Lakeside is much better, IMO.

Priefert... I like how their headgate functions. Chute is a little small for big animals. Simple operation, reliable, lower cost than most. I've looked at others, from wht I've seen, I like a Lakeside 350/450 best, ArrowQuip would be a close second. They have parallel vertical sides that move straight in/out... better than the tilting side that the Priefert has, but more complicated. Headgate control from the rear of the chute too... but Priefert handles that with the auto that actually works well.
I'm not sure how big you're running, but I had one that was 2075# that ran through my Priefert S0-4 just fine. I love that chute. It's the least expensive, and it does everything I need. I have a "micro" herd (small number of cattle, not size-wise) and it's perfect. If had a larger herd I'd prefer a hydraulic chute, but I don't need it so it's just a massive extra cost.

I'm not sure how big you're running, but I had one that was 2075# that ran through my Priefert S0-4 just fine. I love that chute. It's the least expensive, and it does everything I need. I have a "micro" herd (small number of cattle, not size-wise) and it's perfect. If had a larger herd I'd prefer a hydraulic chute, but I don't need it so it's just a massive extra cost.
Yeah, I got an SO-1 for "the right money" ($1500 and it was absolutely just as nice as if I'd bought it brand new, never sat outside, always cleaned up after use, very small producer that had it, and he only had it about a year or so), so I couldn't pass it up, but I definitely would have preferred an SO-4 obviously. My target weight on my herd is around 1200#, and they all fit in it just fine... but my custom grazed herd runs a bit more, and his really big ones are a pretty tight squeeze...

Thanks for the information everyone. I've heard good things about the priefert auto catch head gate but I've never seen one. Does anyone have good pictures of how they work?

Latest posts