Chute size?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I need to weld up a couple of these rectangles to support my temporary corral panels leading up to my portable squeeze chute.

Anybody know what size I should make these (inside width)? I still have to cobble together stuff to work on them as I can't settle on a permanent design (don't know why I am struggling with this). Thanks!

00w0w_cg9u8D7IBuY_600x450.jpg

28" is pretty typical but you'll see all kinds of sizes. I like them dragging hair when they are going down the alley.

28" is probably average. There'll be one every now and then that can't make that trip. I have one permanently deeicated to calves, and I made it pretty narrow. Maybe 22" or so.

I made mine 29" and it works well for the cows, but the calves can turn back. No matter what size you make it it won't be perfect all the time. Was weighing some yearlings the other day and one of them turned back in the chute 3 different times. The problem was when she would turn back she would end up upside down and could not get up! Fortunately, where she pulled this stunt, I had a gate I could open that would allow me turn her to where she could get up. After 3 times I gave up! I watched her do this 3 times and I still can't tell you how a 800lb calf can turn back in a 29" chute.

28" works for everything but mature bulls. I've heard of bulls getting stuck at load out and having to get a torch to cut them out.

Can you look at this and make any improvements? If the picture is not clear, it's setup in the corner of a corral and is about 12x24. This is setup for calves so it is narrow, and worked so so after getting them in the holding area of it, just had to coax (push) them to get them to go down the lane.

I am worried this same setup will not get the cows or bull. What I've been doing is taking a panel loose and swinging it in to get them going down the chute. Last time I had to run a cow down a setup like this she just looked at me and I had to doctor her between the corral panels.

Keep in mind, I want to do something permanent, just can't wrap my head around that yet. I know the corral panels are a little lite duty, most everyone is pretty docile though. I like building stuff, don't know why I am struggling with laying something useful out for the permanent working facility.

Any tips for improving this or is this ok for 6 adults?
8358-2temp.jpg

For 6 cows it should work just fine. I've worked more with way less.

I would add a shorter gate or panel to the panel you have at a 45 to swing back to the corral fence. I would not unhook a panel to then swing with cows. Depending on what you are doing with them and how gentle they are you might be able to work them in the alley.

We do a lot of simple stuff in the alley if we need to do the same thing to all of them, like a pour on or a simple shot. We just slide a bar behind them so the can;t back up and do whatever it takes. Years ago I bred a large herd of Ankina cows with a set up like that. Run one cow in, slide the bar behind her, climb over the panel and breed her. run the next one in bind the first and pull the bar from the ahead cow and slide it behind the new cow., repeat the fence climbing and breeding process. I was a helluva lot younger then.

Latest posts