Churchill

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
How did their sale go?

I perused the catalog again today, and was struck by the carcass quality that seems to be built into a very well built animal on this ranch.Churchill Yankee ET BW 1.8; WW 58; YW 98; MM 20; REA .65; MARB 0.38. Half brother to Rambo.

Dutch, BW 3.3; WW 63; YW 107; MM20; REA 0.73; MARB 0.09.

Rancher, BW 2.8; WW 62; YW 95; MM 21; REA 0.11; MARB 0.48.

Churchill Ram, BW 1.4; WW 41; YW 68; MM 21; REA 0.21; MARB 0.50.

Now, I am not overly trusting of EPDs, but when I look at the actual marbling score of several of the heifers that were offered in the sale, I find a half sister to Yankee with an actual marbling of 7.00.(This one was bred to their highest Marbling bull ever, Ram) There were ten heifers in the sale with a marbling score over 5, and about half of them were 6 or over. If the growth numbers hold up, and the cattle can look half as good on the range without pampering as they do in the pics, and if they will hold up in the long run, then here are some genetics you could tie to to move you forward carcass wise without sacrificing phenotype or growth.

I watched the Churchill sale over the internet this year. The cattle sold very well, and there were many I think liked. I know for this sale they had a truck coming of the sale cattle to central IL for free. I hope they have the same type of deal next year, as this year I just wasn't quite ready to get another one.

If I had the property and finances, there are a number of experiments I'd like to try. I would continue with the line I am working on now, but I'd also like to have:

One herd of straight Richard Day genetics;
A group of Churchill Yankee daughters to alternate Day bulls and a number of other good carcass bulls like 8020 on;

and so forth...

It was nice to see the Dam of my new Herd Sire was one of the top selling lots.
You all probably already seen this.

Sale Highlights:

Top Bulls:
Churchill Slugger 800U by Churchill Yankee ET $20,000 to LeForce Land and Livestock, Pond Creek, OK
Churchill Yankee 808U by Churchill Yankee ET $12,000 to Van Newkirk Herefords, Oshkosh,NE

Top Females:
Churchill Lady 503R by PW Victor Boomer P606 $14,000 to Gray Land & Cattle Edmond, OK
Churchill Lady 7123T ET by GH Neon 17N $12,500 to Loehr Hereford Farm, Peoria, IL
Churchill Lady 7118T ET by UPS Odyssey $10,000 to Matthew Lohner, Grenfell, SK
Churchill Lady 450 by CL 1 Domino 285M $10,000 to W4 Ranch, Morgan, TX and Hoffman Ranch
McArthur, TX
Churchill Lady 5167R by Churchill Robin Hood 222 $9,000 to W4 Ranch and Hoffman Ranch
Churchill Lady 412 by CL 1 Domino 285M $8,000 to Nunnally Farms, Monroe, GA
Churchill Lady 815U by Churchill Yankee ET &7,250 to M.C. Foster, Spartansburg, SC
Churchill Lady 0113 by Churchill Montana ET $6,500 to Pied Piper, Hamlin, TX
Churchill Lady 784T by Churchill Rancher 592R $5,750 to Stuber Ranch, Bowman, ND
Churchill Lady 317 by HR Robin Hood 52F $5,750 to Hallbauer Farms, Carlinville, IL
Churchill Lady 786T by GH Neon 17N $5,000 to M.C. Foster

rocket2222":2hj4agb1 said:
It was nice to see the Dam of my new Herd Sire was one of the top selling lots.
You all probably already seen this.

Sale Highlights:

Top Bulls:
Churchill Slugger 800U by Churchill Yankee ET $20,000 to LeForce Land and Livestock, Pond Creek, OK
Churchill Yankee 808U by Churchill Yankee ET $12,000 to Van Newkirk Herefords, Oshkosh,NE

Top Females:
Churchill Lady 503R by PW Victor Boomer P606 $14,000 to Gray Land & Cattle Edmond, OK

I saw that, by the way hows he doing? The new pictures of him look great.

He doing alright, thanks, this pics a few weeks old, it the newest one I have though, just hanging out waiting for breeding season to start. :)

IMG_151311111.jpg

rocket2222":d4rbltmt said:
He doing alright, thanks, this pics a few weeks old, it the newest one I have though, just hanging out waiting for breeding season to start. :)

IMG_151311111.jpg

I like what I see, who is his sire? He looks to be slightly more moderate than some of the bulls you've used in the past?

KNERSIE":33lpcsoc said:
rocket2222":33lpcsoc said:

IMG_151311111.jpg

I like what I see, who is his sire? He looks to be slightly more moderate than some of the bulls you've used in the past?

I can put stop to you liking him real quick, :) hows about a 517 grandson, his sire is World Class. He's a little bigger than the Deshazer bull I had before him, although I didn't think he would be when I first got him, so yeah, he's not a 7 or 8 frame like "the good old days". :lol2:

If this is the same Churchill Herefords out of Manhatten, MT we just bought a bull from them today.
Really liked their web site, you can click on the video and see the bulls they have for sale moving around.
We bought bull #7139. He is going to be delivered next week. Can hardly wait.

I luv herfrds":3cplvuln said:
If this is the same Churchill Herefords out of Manhatten, MT we just bought a bull from them today.
Really liked their web site, you can click on the video and see the bulls they have for sale moving around.
We bought bull #7139. He is going to be delivered next week. Can hardly wait.

Your Churchill bull is by one of my favorite Miles City Line 1 bulls. It's interesting to see that they went back(he's a 95 model) and used him on some heifers, as I have and will continue to do. The 95461 bull saw a lot of service in a number of herds and was the sire of several notable females in Cooper's herd.

19515156_L.JPG

I also have a picture of him at 11 years of age somewhere and he was still an active and nice looking bull.

You picked a very good program to buy from.

Edited to add: I think you can still get 95461 semen from Jim Coley, Coley Herefords, in Tennessee and it is reasonably priced.

George

Thanks George.
We had hoped to go to Largents, but they were too far away. Looked at another breeder south of us and we couldn't afford their bulls.
Went on Churchill's web site and contacted Dale about the ones we really liked and we could afford their price. :nod:
There was another bull on his site that I really liked, #7103. That is one thick bull.

I'll post a picture of our new bull when we get him.

Latest posts