Cholesterol

Help Support CattleToday:

Is Cholesterol good for your health?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yes, doctors have been stressing this for years, we need all the cholesterol our body can stand and a nice comfortable recliner too eat it in

Strange there is no law or tax preventing consumption of C. I wonder why, especially since over 100,000,000 people in the US have C above desirable levels. Hmmmmm. What kind of foods contain high levels of C? One is "Whole-milk dairy products".

Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance found in your body and is needed for the body to function normally. Your body makes enough cholesterol for its needs. When there is too much cholesterol in your body—because of diet and the rate at which the cholesterol is processed—it is deposited in arteries, including those of the heart, which can lead to narrowing of the arteries and heart disease.

An estimated 106.9 million American adults have total blood cholesterol levels of 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) and higher, which is above desirable levels. Of these, 37.7 million have levels of 240 mg/dL or higher, which is considered high risk. (Statistics from CDC's National Center for Health Statistics as published by the American Heart Association, Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics — 2005 Update. Dallas, TX: AHA, 2004. http://www.americanheart.org*).

Studies among people with heart disease have shown that lowering cholesterol can reduce the risk for dying from heart disease, having a nonfatal heart attack, and needing heart bypass surgery or angioplasty.

Studies among people without heart disease have shown that lowering cholesterol can reduce the risk for developing heart disease, including heart attacks and deaths related to heart disease. This is true for those with high cholesterol levels and even for those with average levels.

http://www.cdc.gov/DHDSP/library/fs_cholesterol.htm

Say it ain't so. How can one doctor disagree with the CDC? The CDC has to be correct right?

No Evidence To Support Cholesterol-Saturated Fat Cause of Heart Disease

According to Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD, there is no evidence to support the saturated fat-cholesterol cause of heart disease. Ravnskov maintains that data has been unreasonably manipulated or ignored to produce the 'right' story.

He came to this conclusion by wading through the immense volume of scientific literature cited by the saturated fat-cholesterol heart disease adherents. The details are given in his book The Cholesterol Myths.

I am glad to hear that the American Heart Association's definition of high cholesterol may not be right. As a senior citizen, I might wonder if my cholesterol levels were high enough. It has been shown that normal older people who have the highest cholesterol live the longest.

http://www.modern-diets-and-nutritional ... terol.html

TexasBred":45ab11g0 said:
If it don't have fins, feather or taste like hel then it's bound to be full of bad cholesterol.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :nod: :nod: :nod:

There is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol . Didn't your doctor explain that the last time you went for a physical ???

If you follow the link located at the bottom, each paragraph shown below is given scientific explanation by the doctor.

Cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals. There are no such things as good or bad cholesterol, but mental stress, physical activity and change of body weight may influence the level of blood cholesterol. A high cholesterol is not dangerous by itself, but may reflect an unhealthy condition, or it may be totally innocent.

A high blood cholesterol is said to promote atherosclerosis (the scientific name for arteriosclerosis) and thus also coronary heart disease. But many studies have shown that people whose blood cholesterol is low become just as arteriosclerotic as people whose cholesterol is high.

Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the "prudent" diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent.

There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than a dozen studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven't eaten more fat than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.

The only effective way to lower cholesterol is with drugs, but neither heart mortality or total mortality have been improved with drugs the effect of which is cholesterol-lowering only. On the contrary, these drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life.

The new cholesterol-lowering drugs, the statins, do prevent cardio-vascular disease, but this is due to other mechanisms than cholesterol-lowering. Unfortunately, they also stimulate cancer in rodents.

Many of these facts have been presented in scientific journals and books for decades but are rarely told to the public by the proponents of the diet-heart idea.

The reason why laymen, doctors and even scientists have been misled is because opposing and disagreeing results are systematically ignored or misquoted in the scientific press.

http://www.silentbetrayal.com/articles/ ... yths.htm#1

hillsdown":19iai2rc said:
So do you ever go to an actual doctor or just diagnose yourself with articles online like you do with your cows ???

The last time I went to a doctor was over decade ago to get a physical required by my employer. Previous to that, physicals were required from employers and sport teams and I was on many. I am never sick and don't get colds or flu. I am not sure why I have been fortunate though.

Just because you feel healthy doesn't mean you are !!!!!!! You are in the right age for cancer, check your prostate lately????????? Or have a colonoscopy ???

HerefordSire":24n757qi said:
Not necessary. I expect to live to about 120 years old.

I have no idea how long I'll live could you give me a guess?

I love beef,pork,fish,whole milk,butter,salt,cheese,fat,anything with wheat in it,copenhagen,fruit pie,cream,pecans,good beer,peppers,crown royal,and tea.I also smoke about two packs of camels a year.I don't go to the doctor,except the eye doc(to bad I don't eat more carrots).I don't like candy,I belive in creation and that christ died for our sins,but I don't like church or the bank sign they have out front with time,temp,and count down till the second comeing(what a waste of money they could have spent helping someone).I'm 5-10 and 170 lbs.I don't get sick,but maybe a cold once a year(I think it's because I live with the windows open in the summer and wood in the stove in the winter.I work hard and sleep when I want(unless I'm hauling cows)I love my life and my great wife. So how many years should I live,I'm sure you have a chart.

EAT BEEF":163i36iw said:
HerefordSire":163i36iw said:
Not necessary. I expect to live to about 120 years old.

I have no idea how long I'll live could you give me a guess?

I love beef,pork,fish,whole milk,butter,salt,cheese,fat,anything with wheat in it,copenhagen,fruit pie,cream,pecans,good beer,peppers,crown royal,and tea.I also smoke about two packs of camels a year.I don't go to the doctor,except the eye doc(to bad I don't eat more carrots).I don't like candy,I belive in creation and that christ died for our sins,but I don't like church or the bank sign they have out front with time,temp,and count down till the second comeing(what a waste of money they could have spent helping someone).I'm 5-10 and 170 lbs.I don't get sick,but maybe a cold once a year(I think it's because I live with the windows open in the summer and wood in the stove in the winter.I work hard and sleep when I want(unless I'm hauling cows)I love my life and my great wife. So how many years should I live,I'm sure you have a chart.

That sums up life rather well. Good job!

Of all the folks I know that have heart troubles, the vast majority do not fit in with the AMA's or AHA's "risk factors". Most (including me) have very few, or none, of the risk factors. It sure makes me wonder if the doctors know what they're talking about at all, or if it's all just guesswork. One thing I know for sure is that had I known in 2003 what I know now about heart disease, I would NOT have 5 stents and 3 bypass grafts on and in my arteries. The cardiologists counter with "but, you might be dead now". The "might be" is the trick for me. There are multitudes of situations that will make you dead. Like if you was to fall off your tractor and wind up under the bush hog. I'd say that's a pretty good chance to be dead.

I'm a believer in moderation in all things. I eat a lot of stuff that is "bad" for you. I eat cheeseburgers, but not every day. Same with fried chicken, ribeye steaks, and pork ribs.

If you read the studies regarding heart disease, note that they "seem to indicate" or "possibly show that" or "could be linked" blah blah blah. I think you can get a study to "seem to indicate" almost anything you're trying to prove. Cholesterol and statin studies sure fit the pattern. Recently a new drug came out that was to be the be all and cure all of the cholesterol industry. Made the numbers go waaaay down. Doctors prescribed it to darn near everybody. Then, some enterprising soul did some more testing, and found that, other than lowering numbers, the drug did absolutely nothing beneficial.........

So, in summary, if you adhere to all the rules and diets and exercise like they recommend, you may not live longer, but it'll sure seem that way. :tiphat:

Latest posts