Chinese Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Hey all, been looking for another small HP tractor, and well, a new dealer has opened up not long ago, selling Chinese branded tractors, such as Jinma, etc.

The price's offered is way too good for a new tractor, BUT I am reading and hearing some not so good things about these tractors as far as quality, etc.

I am sure this topic has been discussed here before, but I am asking for anyone's UPDATED opinions about these things, even though, frankly I am not really serious about buying one at the moment.

I have found several web sites that discuss such machines, but I am left with very conflicting views about them, and would much prefer to hear from my trusted, conservative friends on this board.

So let'er rip!

Medic24":3nl7s8ve said:
Hey all, been looking for another small HP tractor, and well, a new dealer has opened up not long ago, selling Chinese branded tractors, such as Jinma, etc.
Don't do it. Confuscious say cheap tractor very much trouble. Dealer here today, gone tomorrow. Company support not to be found. Parts very bad to find in a short time. My opinion- patch up the ones in the shed or find something else that you can get parts and service for.

When I saw the topic heading I thought it was going to be about john deere tractors

dun

I was looking for a small tractor to do various light duty chores on my 25 acres, and looked at a lot of different kinds of tractors..

Everything I read told me that chinese tractors are lacking in reliability, parts supply, and plain old GUTS.. So, I looked into Japanese made gray market tractors, and heard from a local machinery mechanic that he had a buddy's gray-market Yanmar w/ a big FEL in his shop recently.. The guy said it acted 'sick' and weak.. Mechanic figured out that sick and weak was apparently normal for those tractors, and said he'd never work on another one.. So, chinese and japanese tractors were out...

I ended up buying a 1950 Ford 8N, and I couldn't be happier with that decision... It's stout enough for the chores I give it, it's reliable, parts are very cheap and plentiful, and the tractor is simple enough that anyone with a manual, some sense, and a half decent set of hand tools can fix nearly anything that goes wrong.. Granted, you won't be skipping round bales across the pastures with an 8N, and the PTO and hydraulics aren't live, but they're still great little tractors..

I've had people compliment my old N and call her 'a real gem,' and I've had others say she's just a hair better than a good team of horses.. On thing that they all seem to agree on, though, is that a more solid, more reliable, and harder working tractor can't be found for under $2500...

Hope I didn't get too far off topic.. :oops:

Medic, Kubota makes good sound tractors that keep there value,so a used one will cost you almost as much as a new one.So, you might as well spend the money and get something good and tough!I would stay away from the gray market tractors,no matter how cheap they are. ;-) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3adf5haw said:
Medic, Kubota makes good sound tractors that keep there value,so a used one will cost you almost as much as a new one.So, you might as well spend the money and get something good and tough!I would stay away from the gray market tractors,no matter how cheap they are. ;-) :cboy:

Don't know about that. Purchased a cab 6800 new a couple of years ago for $27,000. It was so rough riding that I had to crawl out on my hands and knees after only a couple of hours. With less than 100 hours on the tractor I was offered only $14,000 for a trade-in and it was appraised by a major tractor auction company for $17,000. We only use it for raking hay now. Bought a JD 6615 and there is no problem riding 8 to 10 hours mowing. Being a comitted Ford man I to thought green paint was to expensive. Since Ford is no more I had to make a choice. Kubota=BAD NEWS; JD=outstanding machine. Sometimes you get what you pay for

norriscathy":186myr8x said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":186myr8x said:

Kubota=BAD NEWS; JD=outstanding machine. Sometimes you get what you pay for

Would have to argue with you on this one. We have a Kubota tractor - actually have had a couple, traded up for the one we have now due to increased demands as far as farming is concerned. Can't remember exactly how old it is, but we have never had a problem with it. It does everything we need it to do and doesn't complain.

My advice is don't waste your money on any brand that does not have a dealer/dealers selling the same brand for more than 10 years.

Don't buy any brand that you have a problem pronouncing.

Don't put any Orange colored tractor on a farm and expect to run it everyday.

Look for something with a recognized engine manufacturer. Name brand motor!

Never get anything with less than 50HP, you will reget it later.

Don't let any salesman talk you into anything. Do your own research. Don't belive them when they tell you they also build for JB, MF, Case, NH, or any other brand. They might have made one bolt for these guys and then they say "oh this brand also makes the parts for X brand".

If a salesman tells you that the brand he is selling makes parts or tractors for the above mentioned companies, RUN, RUN FAST, and then get out faster. some amke these claim's because some of the big guys got into the compact business and needed cheap parts and engines to put their brand on. These off the wall companies sold them some cheap stuff for their compacts and now claim they make the name brand tractor parts. Even in the utility class, most (other than JD) have a recognized engine built by a company that has been in the business for many, many years.

Jumping down off my soap box.

flaboy+":10nl1v2p said:
My advice is don't waste your money on any brand that does not have a dealer/dealers selling the same brand for more than 10 years.

Don't buy any brand that you have a problem pronouncing.

Don't put any Orange colored tractor on a farm and expect to run it everyday.

Look for something with a recognized engine manufacturer. Name brand motor!

Never get anything with less than 50HP, you will reget it later.

Don't let any salesman talk you into anything. Do your own research. Don't belive them when they tell you they also build for JB, MF, Case, NH, or any other brand. They might have made one bolt for these guys and then they say "oh this brand also makes the parts for X brand".

If a salesman tells you that the brand he is selling makes parts or tractors for the above mentioned companies, RUN, RUN FAST, and then get out faster. some amke these claim's because some of the big guys got into the compact business and needed cheap parts and engines to put their brand on. These off the wall companies sold them some cheap stuff for their compacts and now claim they make the name brand tractor parts. Even in the utility class, most (other than JD) have a recognized engine built by a company that has been in the business for many, many years.

Jumping down off my soap box.
Flaboy, I agree with most all you said, with the exception of the Orange Tractors, I assume you mean Kubota.There's nothing wrong with em' I run a MF, Kubota, and a Ford.The Kubota is as dependable as can be.
As far as others claiming to be builders, you're right. I know Ursus, built MF's for quite a while.But it seems we are flooded by many manufacturers all wanting to get a share of the U.S. Market. Many will be here today,and gone in a year or two.There is no "Parts Support" or service support for many of them.Look on Ebay, you'll find a dozen brands of Tractors, at least.Some new with only a 6 month warantee, that should tell a feller a whole bunch.Also, I'd rather have a tractor that's over-powered, than under powered, just in case your needs were to change.

Aaaahhh. just like vehicles......so many to chose from ,and so many fans of different makers.

While looking around I did notice this. I COULD BE WRONG ON THIS SO FORGIVE ANY INCORRECT INFO.

The compact JD's (I do love green tractors) are mostly manufactured by Yanmar now.?

The compact MF's are manufactured in Japan as well, (oh well beats China anyway)

Kubota seems to have gotten quite good at making tractors, with good support locally.

Kioti seems to make tractors that look exactly like the older model butas? And they seem to make a decent one as well. South Korea?

Ford /New Holland? I have no idea, can't afford em anyways.

Belarus, Long, and the like, I simply dont know, I hear little good things.

but yeah you are all right.......these Chinese tractors are like the plague..........think I will simply look for an older model JD or Ford to add to my 'fleet'

I do have a neighbor that had a smaller place and they bought a Nortrac from Northern Hydrolics, he died shortly there after, she had to sell it all, a package deal that orginally cost them over 20 grand sold for less then 7 thousand less then 2 years later. :(

Thanks for reminding me what I already knew but wanted to try and forget....you get what you pay for..............and just cus it's old doesn't mean it's worn out...........I suspect we won't be seeing many Chinese tractors get to run that long.

Thanks for the input. :cboy:

Guys,

Jump on me if you like, but I have to agree with msscamp on this one about the Kubotas. In May 2000, I purchased a new Kubota 5700 4 wheel drive tractor and have had no problems until last week. After using the tractor for 5 1/2 years I had to replace the battery. I knew a new battery was soon to be bought because for the last month or so the battery was getting slow on real cold mornings.

Based on my own personal use of my Kubota, I am looking at buying a new 6800 this spring, not because I need a new tractor but because the CPA says it is time.

I am only a small scale cattlemen and hay farmer but this tractor has served me just fine.

FYI - Back in 2000, when I was looking for a tractor, I talked to my local JD dealership who also happened to also own the Kubota dealership about 30 miles down the road. The JD salesman said that he would be glad to sell me a Green tractor but, unless I just wanted green, he could sell me a whole lot
more orange tractor for the price than he could for a green tractor.

Crowderfarms":48elq6kn said:
Flaboy, I agree with most all you said, with the exception of the Orange Tractors, I assume you mean Kubota.There's nothing wrong with em' I run a MF, Kubota, and a Ford.The Kubota is as dependable as can be.
As far as others claiming to be builders, you're right. I know Ursus, built MF's for quite a while.But it seems we are flooded by many manufacturers all wanting to get a share of the U.S. Market. Many will be here today,and gone in a year or two.There is no "Parts Support" or service support for many of them.Look on Ebay, you'll find a dozen brands of Tractors, at least.Some new with only a 6 month warantee, that should tell a feller a whole bunch.Also, I'd rather have a tractor that's over-powered, than under powered, just in case your needs were to change.

I must admit that Kubota tractors have come long way. I worked on one of the original imports many years ago and what a piece of junk. A friend of mine just bought a compact from Kubota and loves it but only uses it when the sun is out and it is above 80 degree's. I run mine hard and long in 100 degree weather pulling a big baler. I won't risk it with a orange tractor. You won't find any AG version orange tractors around me. Everyone is Red or Greeen. Some had Kubota dealers bring some out for demo but after about an hour the dealer stopped them and said they were over working the tractor.

You will never see a orange tractor on my place regardless of price. I had some folks try to sell me orange when I was looking for my latest red one and they were much higher in cost (similar to the JD price) than the MF. I have been using MF and Fords for more years than I care to admit. I often abuse them and they always forgive me. Lost a water pump and didn't know it for a few weeks. Ran that thing with about a quart of water in it for hours on end. When I finally checked the fluids after a hard weeks work I found the problem and repaired it. Thsi old thing had never lost a drip in years. I got used to it and stopped checking it's fluids. I don't know how many others would have survived this treatment.

I would'nt have one of their Compact or smaller Tractors, or anyone else's for that matter, but I will tell you my Kubota has never let me down. I use it for Bush Hogging. It's been put to the test many times, without a failure. It's comfortable to operate, and turns on a dime.I really like the High/Low Range PTO.

Kubotas will run, they will turn and they will pull; anything under 50 hp the Kubota is great! For serious work you have to step up to the Kubota M120 which is about the same price as a JD. Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples. A 60 horse M6800 is NOT the same as a JD 6000 series tractor; it is the equal of the JD 5000 series and ,in some cases ,cost more than a JD. Don't judge just on horsepower (which Kubota refuses to have verified by an outside lab). Take out a tape measure. One person of any size can barely fit in the cab of an M6800; two people can actually ride in the cab of a JD 6615. I've never said my Kubota failed, but that it beat me to death after just a couple of hours of operation. I have a excellect 3 year old M6800 with 120 hours on it if anyone really thinks the "little" Kubotas are serious tractors!

Latest posts