China opening their market to U.S. Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I heard on NPR that China had agreed to open their market to importation of U.S. beef in advance of a big meeting that we (U.S. diplomats) are going to have with them.

Could this possibly be the good news that we all want? China could easily offset Japan, and actually sway other asian countries to join in. Maybe the price boom will stay steady for a little while longer...

I stole this from somewhere. A Dec. 2005 article. Thought the reason for not banning Canadian beef interesting.
During the US ban, Canadian beef imports to Hong Kong surged to C$10 million (HK$64 million) a month, up from C$250,000 per month in 2002, representing a 40-fold increase, according to the Canada Beef Export Federation.

Surprisingly, the government did not impose a ban on Canadian beef even though three cases of mad cow disease were discovered in January this year in the province of Alberta.

The government said the reason was that it was satisfied with Canada's implementation of control measures against the disease.

As someone who spends 3 months per year in China I can tell you that this would be a boom for US beef. Beef is very hard to find in China because of the space requirements to raise it. Beef is always in high demand and a NY strip steak that I bought a few months ago in Nanjing cost about 60 US dollars at the hotel. This is in a country where you can buy all the local food that you want to eat for about 50 cents. The masses there are beef hungry and prefer their meat with a high fat content for some reason. It might help some of this trade imbalance that we have also.

It is about time!!! I don't like or country getting bullied around like that. Everyone has heard the reasons and we should have put some embargos on them six months ago. The only reason this is taking so long is that they are dealing with the USA. [/b]

Latest posts