Chilled water for Florida cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Goat Roper

Reaction score
Greetings:

I am a former dairy farmer (many years ago) who is now getting into raising cattle in my senior years. My theory is that chilled water would be a great way to help cool off the cattle. I can't find anything like that for sale on the internet. Any suggestions? I am considering buying a small stand up freezer, lining the inside with fiberglas, remove the top, see how that works. Comments welcome. Thanks.

As long as the water isn't disgustingly warm or stale, I don't think they'll like it any better.

Here are my cows, it's 98F in the shade

I still want to try chilled water. With 8 months of summer nearly 95 degrees everyday and mid-70s at night, I think my theory may have merit. In Oregon's hot summers, our dairy cows would stand in the creek and savor the cool water and ignore the cleaner water trough.

I think you're going to be lucky if this fails without serious injury or property damage.

sstterry said:
If this is indeed a serious post, which I doubt, the cost alone would make it prohibitive.

I highly doubt it.

Probably the most fool proof way you could do it is buy you a place with a spring on it like Ichetucknee Springs or Silver Springs or Weeki Wachee and just let your cows loose in it. I've been swimming in Ichetucknee and that's some cold water.

ga.prime said:
Probably the most fool proof way you could do it is buy you a place with a spring on it like Ichetucknee Springs or Silver Springs or Weeki Wachee and just let your cows loose in it. I've been swimming in Ichetucknee and that's some cold water.

And Weeki Wachee attracts Mermaids too! ;-)

Latest posts