Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any places selling chicken litter in the North Alabama or Southern Tennessee area? Also any pros and cons to using chicken litter over regular fertilizer?

i know the litter is 4x cheaper than comm fert.litter cost you from $30 to $90 an ac for 1 to 3 tons of litter pre year.comm fert on hay meadows 2x is 500lbs thats a min $300 pre ac a yr.so litter will save you $200 an ac a year.

bigbull338":5e7vtdoa said:
i know the litter is 4x cheaper than comm fert.litter cost you from $30 to $90 an ac for 1 to 3 tons of litter pre year.comm fert on hay meadows 2x is 500lbs thats a min $300 pre ac a yr.so litter will save you $200 an ac a year.
It all depends on the trucking costs, for the last two years here, and I ain't far from suppliers, it's been much cheaper to use commercial. I check every year.

ISO i checked the fert prices this year for the 1st time in over 30yrs.and 18-46-0 was $556 ton with me spreading it.i checked the prices because i had thought of mixing wheat an fert an spreading it on the pastures.but it proved tobe to costly to gamble on.

Check the Farmers exchange too. It's online.
You should be able to get it spread for 30/ton.

I live in Huntsville but my cattle are in the New Market area and the Hazel Green area. Both are about 25 minutes to Fayettville which is where I sell my cattle. Thanks pappy 6 do you have any contact info for Mr. Tate if so you can PM me.

My Father lives just north of Cullman AL (Vinemont). He has 2 300ft chicken houses. He just did the annual cleanout, but if you would like his phone number, I am sure he can get you in contact with someone who is cleaning out soon. Most times you can get the Litter for free if you pick it up. He would also give you the contact for delivery. PM me for info.

Jason

Anyone know where you can get chicken litter in south,al (Atmore) or north Florida around Pensacola?

Is it possible to buy Chicken litter in the fall and winter and spread it the next year and have the same fertilizer values as when you bought it .... provided you kept it covered ?
Thanks

Best time to spread chicken litter imo is in the fall on fescue or winter annuals like rye/ryegrass/oats/wheat.

I even get a little pop clear into the next season with Bermuda/Bahia/crabgrass in the same field. You lose a little nitrogen, but you can put out litter near anytime and it remains available through the various growth windows of each grass/forb/legumes growth window. As many chicken houses are around you, you ought to be able to get good broiler litter for $30-$40/ton spread, ton to the acre in fertile spots, 1.5-2 in not so fertile.

Cheers

Check your local laws before you get to excited.
There are so many chicken houses around here, that there are full time operations that do nothing but clean the litter out of the houses between batches, and have spreader trucks. So, it goes straight from chicken house to the buyers land. I live in the Mountain Fork River Watershed Conservation District ????( well, it's some big long name). We have to partner with SCS to develop a Soil Nutrient Management Program before we can apply any nutrient or certain chemicals. We have to operate within the parameters they allow, based on proximity to the river, soil type, grade, and etc. and keep accurate records of how much of what we have applied, and who we bought it from.
I don't know how things work in your area, but would first check with your ag extension office and or SCS office. I think either could steer you right.
Like has been discussed above, prices vary year to year. This spring I paid $100 per 6 ton load delivered and spread. Cheap. So it made the hassle and wait worth it.

Latest posts