Chicken Flatty - Chili

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
A 'chicken flatty' as we call it is awesome on the grill or baked in the oven. Here's my method but be warned it's hot!! As this is one of my favorite dishes please chime in and let me know how you prepare a whole chicken - I have a nice plump one waiting in the freezer for an occasion ;-)

Sauce/Marinade
6 hot peppers(jalapeños) chopped
5 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
cumin seeds
oregano
salt and black pepper
Blend above ingredients till smooth

Cut the chicken along the backbone and flatten. Some people cut along the breast bone , I prefer having the breasts in the middle so they don't dry out. Is there method in my madness?
Cover with marinade and leave overnight.
Precook chicken in the microwave for about 15min if grilling or bake in the oven until juices run clear.
If grilling place on indirect heat, brushing with left over marinade from time to time
Transfer chicken to a platter and serve with chips, salad and lemon wedges.....and beer :p :help:

Hot stuff!! Any tips?

alisonb":1d2hqd4d said:
A 'chicken flatty' as we call it is awesome on the grill or baked in the oven. Here's my method but be warned it's hot!! As this is one of my favorite dishes please chime in and let me know how you prepare a whole chicken - I have a nice plump one waiting in the freezer for an occasion ;-)

Sauce/Marinade
6 hot peppers(jalapeños) chopped
5 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
cumin seeds
oregano
salt and black pepper
Blend above ingredients till smooth

Cut the chicken along the backbone and flatten. Some people cut along the breast bone , I prefer having the breasts in the middle so they don't dry out. Is there method in my madness?
Cover with marinade and leave overnight.
Precook chicken in the microwave for about 15min if grilling or bake in the oven until juices run clear.
If grilling place on indirect heat, brushing with left over marinade from time to time
Transfer chicken to a platter and serve with chips, salad and lemon wedges.....and beer :p :help:

Hot stuff!! Any tips?

Whole chicken -- If I'm going to leave it whole, I keep it simple. Some olive oil on the breast, thighs/legs, wings; rub the inside with some S&P, and drop some garlic cloves and rosemary in the cavity. And roast it.

SRBeef":10i1hkuj said:
Hey Alison! This is a Cattle board! No chicken allowed! ;-)
Jim
I thought I would sneak it through while everyone was talking Super Bowl ;-)
ga.prime":10i1hkuj said:
alisonb":10i1hkuj said:
please chime in and let me know how you prepare a whole chicken
Cut it up and make cacciatore.
No ga.prime, I don't want to cut it up :) but Cacciatore sounds great for another occasion.

Am leaving the big chicken flatty for this weekend's barbecue but have bought little spatchcocks for supper tonight - I notice they are cut down the breast bone :? , spose it doesn't really matter. I forgot to mention that when the chicken is almost cooked a little honey can be added to the marinade just to sweeten slightly and to get a nice 'char'.

alisonb":3c6bbigz said:
please chime in and let me know how you prepare a whole chicken I don't want to cut it up
Put salt and pepper on it and place on a wire rack in a pan and bake in the oven until the skin starts getting crispy. Mighty delicious!

Chicken cacciatore or as Mr HD refers to it , chicken purgatory ,,, is sooooo good !! I like to use chicken thighs for it. Do you serve on rice or pasta Ga ?

Have you ever stuck a beer in the butt of a chicken Alison and the BBQ'd it ?

hillsdown":30fwnun6 said:
Chicken cacciatore or as Mr HD refers to it , chicken purgatory ,,, is sooooo good !! I like to use chicken thighs for it. Do you serve on rice or pasta Ga ?
Thin spaghetti, HD. Which do you prefer- rice or pasta? I like it best using a whole chicken that I cut up. One of my most favorite meals!

Pasta all the way !! I like rice, but pasta is my all time weakness; should have been born Italian or at least married one . ;-)

Kathie in Thorp":2vct6fp2 said:
Alisonb, please interpret "spatchcocks" ??
It's a butterflied chicken Kathie, here's how you do it -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKLtbiUflk

hillsdown":2vct6fp2 said:
Have you ever stuck a beer in the butt of a chicken Alison and the BBQ'd it ?
No HD, I prefer my beer cold and out the fridge :p , have you? I've heard about using a can of coke but definitely not beer.

hillsdown":1xlw20p8 said:
Pasta all the way !! I like rice, but pasta is my all time weakness; should have been born Italian or at least married one . ;-)
Went out with one Uno in days gone by, their food is great, they are very passionate people and.... they have terrible tempers on them :p :hide:

Me too A, right out the fridge or the keg . :p It was so nice yesterday that I just wanted to sit on the deck and have a cold pint of Stella .

I have never made it but have had it before at my SIS and BIl's , it's not bad. http://bbq.about.com/od/chicken/ss/aa072807a.htm

I like the sound of your marinade , will have to give it a try sounds like it would be good on buffalo wings as well.

As far as bad tempers , I thought that was par for all men . :roll:

Latest posts