Chiania

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
Why don't we here more about these cattle. Has anybody thought about or bred any, if so show some pics. Is availability the biggest problem. I wouldn't want that big of a cow but would consider a cross, and a terminal bull.

We used to show with a family that raised these cattle. I was always amazed at how their calf could even reach their bag! They were so huge that I don't think they ever went over very well in our area. The family that I knew of that raised them now raises Chi-Angus and does very well with them. They really don't resemble the old Chi's that I remember anymore as the percentage is so small in the cattle now but they still have a few very high percentage cows and bulls in order to keep breeding the cross that is more accepted.

auctionboy":cwt5e2na said:
Why don't we here more about these cattle.

Probably because people who want a lot of frame can now find it in their breed of choice. 8 frame Angus and Herefords not to mention Charolais, Simmentals, and Gelbviehs are very available so why cross to Chianina?

not to mention they are some of the craziest cattle and rough on fences as well

auctionboy":3dmqlp7w said:
Do they sell breeding stock, or just standard calves?

I haven't seen them sell breeding stock other than the Chi-Angus bulls but then I'm sure if you contacted them directly about this they more than likely would have some available.

Pooog1":1o2l14uk said:
We used to show with a family that raised these cattle. I was always amazed at how their calf could even reach their bag! They were so huge that I don't think they ever went over very well in our area. The family that I knew of that raised them now raises Chi-Angus and does very well with them. They really don't resemble the old Chi's that I remember anymore as the percentage is so small in the cattle now but they still have a few very high percentage cows and bulls in order to keep breeding the cross that is more accepted.
Just so you know, auctionboy, a Chianina need only be 1/8 Chianina to be registered as such.

Diehard40":1cngnxj4 said:
not to mention they are some of the craziest cattle and rough on fences as well

i've always heard that. Any particular reason why they'd be so crazy yet seem to do pretty good in the show ring ?

they can be a little rowdy, although they are mainly Maine x Angus. one girl at our barn has one its registered but is only something like 3.5% Chi. they started out really tall leggy white cows and are now stocky black cattle.

The one in our barn flipped out when the owner was sitting down and knocked her out of her chair. but I can't say that is a Chi thing since she is only 3.5%

but they seem like good cows.

jaydill":1d93zasz said:
a Chianina need only be 1/8 Chianina to be registered as such.

That's about like calling any black cow an Angus.

dun

dun":3qjeq5y2 said:
jaydill":3qjeq5y2 said:

dun
I agree. I still haven't quite understood why they allow it...if you watch the shows, it's basically just another class of crossbreds. I haven't seen a uniform class of Chianinas at a show yet.

Jay

jaydill":3euh4idr said:
dun":3euh4idr said:
jaydill":3euh4idr said:

dun
I agree. I still haven't quite understood why they allow it...if you watch the shows, it's basically just another class of crossbreds. I haven't seen a uniform class of Chianinas at a show yet.

Jay

Actually, there is no required % to register a Chianina. All the association requires is that either the sire or dam is a registerd Chianina, it doesn't matter what %. So a 1/8 registered Chianin bred to a pure bred Angus bull will still produce a registerable animal in the Chianina Association.

Actually, there is no required % to register a Chianina. All the association requires is that either the sire or dam is a registerd Chianina, it doesn't matter what %. So a 1/8 registered Chianin bred to a pure bred Angus bull will still produce a registerable animal in the Chianina Association.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2vqbehc1 said:

DOC HARRIS

Actually, it just shows me that they are so eager to cash the check for new registrations that they don't really care whether the calf is a Chianina or not. In the past, I have advocated that Hereford start a black baldie registry (kind of like Balancers in Gelbviehs or Senegus in Senepols or Sim-Angus in Simmentals). It wouldn't really serve much of a purpose other than increasing interest AS WELL AS padding both registrations and cash flow$$.

Brandonm2":qm1xsakz said:
In the past, I have advocated that Hereford start a black baldie registry (kind of like Balancers in Gelbviehs or Senegus in Senepols or Sim-Angus in Simmentals). It wouldn't really serve much of a purpose other than increasing interest AS WELL AS padding both registrations and cash flow$$.

So, you're the one responsible for the black hereford association? Shame on you

dun

When Chi's first hit Amer., we purchased every Brown Swiss open female we could get our hands on and AI bred them to Fullblood Chi bulls. Offspring was white with black hide (eyes, nose) - looked just like a fullblood. Soon as cow was vet checked preg, sold them on a contract. Made good money on them!@!@
I don't think I have heard of a purebred Chi (black or otherwise) around anywhere. Original ones were waaayyy too leggy, wild & almost impossible to finish out. Pretty neat looking tho.

[quoteOffspring was white with black hide (eyes, nose) - looked just like a fullblood. Soon as cow was vet checked preg, sold them on a contract. Made good money on them!@!@][/quote] :shock: :shock: :roll: ;-) H-m-m-m-m-m :?: :?:

DOC HARRIS

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2n2txq17 said:
When Chi's first hit Amer., we purchased every Brown Swiss open female we could get our hands on and AI bred them to Fullblood Chi bulls. Offspring was white with black hide (eyes, nose) - looked just like a fullblood. Soon as cow was vet checked preg, sold them on a contract. Made good money on them!@!@
I don't think I have heard of a purebred Chi (black or otherwise) around anywhere. Original ones were waaayyy too leggy, wild & almost impossible to finish out. Pretty neat looking tho.
:shock: :shock: :roll: H-m-m-m-m-m :?: :?:

DOC HARRIS

txshowmom":hu8iy76t said:
jaydill":hu8iy76t said:
dun":hu8iy76t said:
jaydill":hu8iy76t said:

dun

Jay

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. A girl in my school barn actually had a Chi this year and that's what her father told me. However, I'm not surprised that there is no % required. I always thought her heifer looked more like a Maine... :lol:

Latest posts