Chev Tailgate Latches?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Neither side will latch, so I assume I need to replace both.

Any way to tell if the center handle is OK?

What is the best way to contain the rods connecting the center handle to the two side latches as you remove the old handle?

What year model is it?

On the older trucks 90-99 and maybe even later models you could take the black molding off around the tail gate latch and reach in. Lift the tailgate handle and you can see two bars that go to each side. You squeeze them and the tailgate will open and close.

Before I took it apart I would spray the latches good with WD40 and see if I could free them up. Sounds as if the latch bolts are sticking, especially since it is a later model truck.

Stocker Steve":jyshhgk6 said:
Neither side will latch, so I assume I need to replace both.

Any way to tell if the center handle is OK?

What is the best way to contain the rods connecting the center handle to the two side latches as you remove the old handle?

Does your handle still work or is it real hard to pull? If it is real hard to pull then remove the handle and take a torch and melt the plastic in between the two levers that work the rods. These get froze up with dirt ,mud,salt,ect. Then reinstall it I have done hundreds of them this way. As for the bezel that goes around the handle ,good luck getting it off with out breaking it. It just snaps into place and is held by two-sided tape and plastic tabs. I think the tabs are at the top, but it doesnt matter you will break it. I think I have only got one off without breaking it.

I will bet the latches on each side are ok.

JHH":31jna5vv said:
Does your handle still work or is it real hard to pull? If it is real hard to pull then remove the handle and take a torch and melt the plastic in between the two levers that work the rods. These get froze up with dirt ,mud,salt,ect. Then reinstall it I have done hundreds of them this way. As for the bezel that goes around the handle ,good luck getting it off with out breaking it. It just snaps into place and is held by two-sided tape and plastic tabs. I think the tabs are at the top, but it doesnt matter you will break it. I think I have only got one off without breaking it.

I will bet the latches on each side are ok.

Old truck was hard to pull.
This one is real easy to pull so I thought about the side latches. Maybe it is just froze open.

We have several of these trucks for work. This problem is common for us.

Use the WD40 in the pull area and the side latches (I explained poorly, but anything that moves). The WD40 should do the trick. We spray ours 4 times/year.

If you end up breaking the tabs getting the plastic off just go ahead and fix it then glue the plastic thing back in place with some gorilla glue. Doesn't take much. For about $40 you can buy a new one but I'd betcha you'll break it too putting it back in. I did my fix with a pair of needle nose pliars. Just bend the rod a little. You'll see where when you get the plastic thingy off.

alacattleman":tzxmqn57 said:
look behind the handle as you lift it you should be able to tell if the levers are working
Center latch is stiff. Trying some spray before I go for the torch to melt down the plastic washers.

Stocker Steve":3pi9vqby said:
alacattleman":3pi9vqby said:
look behind the handle as you lift it you should be able to tell if the levers are working
Center latch is stiff. Trying some spray before I go for the torch to melt down the plastic washers.

We have been using some spray at work that is call KIMBALLS it works really good. Better than P.B. blaster in my opinion. Might want to try some of that if you can find it. I figured it was froze up.

JHH":3f52sd39 said:
Stocker Steve":3f52sd39 said:
alacattleman":3f52sd39 said:

We have been using some spray at work that is call KIMBALLS it works really good. Better than P.B. blaster in my opinion. Might want to try some of that if you can find it. I figured it was froze up.
got to be some good stuff if its better than PB Blaster :cowboy:

alacattleman":3l3y1ff1 said:
JHH":3l3y1ff1 said:
alacattleman":3l3y1ff1 said:

got to be some good stuff if its better than PB Blaster :cowboy:[/quote]
I think it is and it smells better to :D

Center latch is stiff. Trying some spray before I go for the torch to melt down the plastic washers.[/quote]

[/quote]
got to be some good stuff if its better than PB Blaster :cowboy:[/quote]
I think it is and it smells better to :D[/quote].................. id hope so,, the only thing that smells worse is burnt differentail lube.... knock a buzzard off a gut waggon
:cowboy:

Latest posts